Check Engine; Error Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimBonner8

Reaction score
The Check Engine light came on recently. At the same time, I noticed some performance issues, particularly when accelerating from about 25 MPH; the car would hesitate before taking off.

I had the folk at my garage pull the error codes and we discovered 14 of them.

P1590 -- Mfg Specific Code
P0134 -- O2 Circuit, No Activity, Bank 1, Sensor 1
P0154 -- O2 Circuit, No Activity, Bank 2, Sensor 1
P0448 -- Evap Emission Sys, Vent Circuit Short
P0445 -- Evap Emission Sys, Purge Valve Circuit Short
P0102 -- MAF or VAF Circuit Low Input
P1884 -- Mfg Specific Code
P0340 -- Cam Shaft Position 'A' B1 circuit malfunction
P0135 -- O2 Sensor, Heater Circuit Malfunction, bank 1, sensor 1
P0155 -- O2 Sensor, Heater Circuit Malfunction, bank 2, sensor 1
P0141 -- O2 Sensor, Heater Circuit Malfunction, bank 1, sensor 2
P0161 -- O2 Sensor, Heater Circuit Malfunction, bank 2, sensor 2
P0140 -- O2 check, no activity, bank 1, sensor 2
P0160 -- O2 check, no activity, bank 2, sensor 2

We are speculating that it is the MAF sensor & the O2 sensors but the camshaft sensor and Evap Emission stuff has me hesitating.

Mileage is horrible and the exhaust smells very rich.

Vehicle: 2001 Disco II
189,000 miles
Head was rebuilt at 130,000

Any and all help/suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
My first guess would be something either MAF or o2 sensors has now caused your Cats to clog up...

Brodiedude

Reaction score
Hi Jim Bonner,

Having the same issue. Check Engine light came on and then the engine started running rougher and rougher, same issue you have same exact model 2001.
It is missing and we were going to get fuel additive as it seems as though we got soem bad low octane gas. A local tech suggested we do first, and he checked the engine light and said he needs to get the codes to turn it off.
Have you been able to find out what the problem is before I take it to the Inland Rovers in Riverside?

bloody red

Reaction score
Hi Jim Bonner,

Having the same issue. Check Engine light came on and then the engine started running rougher and rougher, same issue you have same exact model 2001.
It is missing and we were going to get fuel additive as it seems as though we got soem bad low octane gas. A local tech suggested we do first, and he checked the engine light and said he needs to get the codes to turn it off.
Have you been able to find out what the problem is before I take it to the Inland Rovers in Riverside?

Jim, I was able to reset mine with the obd 2 checker.Running rough.my first guess is clean the mass air flow sensor properly.check the posts . john

bloody red

Reaction score
Try cleaning the maf.Use proper cleaner when maf is cold.Obd@ scanner will clear chk eng light

JimBonner8

Reaction score
Brodie,

We are slogging thru right now. Have replaced the O2 sensors, the camshaft position sensor and the MAF. The MAF is not being recognized by the ECM; the mechanic gave the MAF a very very slight tap and it began to work. Then is stopped (I have no explaination for this). So at first, we thought it was a bad MAF. So we tried another one -- same issue. Only this time, we did not tap the unit. So we are no closer to solving the issue.

I'm not sure how one tests the MAF to be sure it is working. We will try again tomorrow.

JimBonner8

Reaction score
Joey

As noted in my previous post, we are having issues with the MAF. Could it be the result of a loose connection or not connection at the ECU (connector 3 pin 7 (5v) or pin 9 (earth) or even pin 23 (analog 0-5v)).

Or could it just be that the ECU needs to be reset?

Thanks,

Jim

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Check your air cleaner as well to make sure that it is sealed properly all the way around. a bad seal will cause issues as well.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim,
Before you do anything, clear all the codes and drive it till it comes back then re-post your codes. All those have not come on at once, many are probably pretty old.
I would also suggest you check and clean your battery cbles and grounds then go to your local parts store and have them do a free charging system test, voltage should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts. If lower then that then there is a good chance many of those codes are low voltage generated.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi