Should I trade in my 20inch rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm a new LR owner...just bought a 2012 LR4 yesterday.
This was an interesting buy.
It has an HD package...but it also has OEM 20 inch rims on it...which seems to not make a lot of sense to me.
I didn't buy the car for the flash...I bought it for the comfort & function...and the dealer said they would trade my rims out for the normal HSE rims & tires (well at least 4 of them since I have a 5th as a spare).

So, my question is...is it stupid to swap them out? I mean I assume they're worth some money, but I need wheels to actually drive and such, so a swap saves me a lot of issue.

My concern is that the 20s are really not meant for offroad..I would worry about them, and they're a bit "fancy" for my taste.

I talked to a rim guy that said if they are willing to swap...do it cause it saves me the hassle of selling. Just figured I'd ask here too.

Rims are pictures below.
At first I thought the LR was a metropolis...but it's just the rims.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81m3mq8y2qass21/2015-08-21%2012.47.08.jpg?dl=0

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same dilemma - the gray 2013 that I bought used came with 20's as well. I did decide to buy a set of used 19" wheels and put a set of Cooper Zeon tires on them.

I still have the 20's since I knew they were an expensive upgrade over the 19's. You can get a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers for the 20" size wheel if you stay with 20" wheels and want a more rugged tire. Nitto doesn't make that tire to fit our 19"wheels.

chrisp

Reaction score
I had the same dilemma - the gray 2013 that I bought used came with 20's as well. I did decide to buy a set of used 19" wheels and put a set of Cooper Zeon tires on them.

I still have the 20's since I knew they were an expensive upgrade over the 19's. You can get a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers for the 20" size wheel if you stay with 20" wheels and want a more rugged tire. Nitto doesn't make that tire to fit our 19"wheels.

So what do you plan to do with the 20s? Sell them? I'm not even sure the best way to do this...I'm guessing I'll have to buy a new set before I sell them as you know the truck needs to actually be on tires ;)

My concern is how long they'll take to sell, etc...and honestly what they're even worth used. If I can get another sweet set of 19 rims & tires and a bit of cash in my pocket for a roof rack I'd be a happy camper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV