Rear brake pads wearing faster than fronts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, both rotors and pads are substantially larger in front compared to the rear setup, and are larger than the LR3's as well! (which is why OEM LR3 18" wheels don't fit on the front axle of the LR4 anymore, the front brakes have grown too big.) The pads of my 2006 Sport HSE used to wear a lot more evenly - and the fronts always went before the rears, even though they wore just as quickly as on my LR4.

RedGTS

Reaction score
Interesting comments, thanks. Whether it's "intelligent" or just set up that way, the fact that it seems to have more rear bias than one would expect makes me wonder if it might not stop faster with more front bias. I am not impressed with how well it stops in a panic or near full-on braking situation. And I completely understand it's a big heavy vehicle and isn't going to stop like a small car. It just seems like it doesn't stop any better than my Tahoe did, and the rotors on the LR appear to be much larger. Also, the Tahoe's stopping was more linear (not short, but linear), whereas the LR feels like it has noticeably more initial bite and then it almost feels like a lot of the clamping force releases and you keep moving forward, with very little nosedive. Kind of odd, but would be very consistent with dialing back the front clamping force in favor of the rear. Personally, I'd much rather have a lot of nosedive if it came with a noticeably shorter stopping distance.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rears are substantially smaller than fronts for both the LR3 (just changed mine) and LR4. Rotors normally last for two sets of pas for me, but that comes out to ~35-40k miles.

One other point to note is traction control. If you wind up doing a lot of snow driving rears also get more wear.

TXLR4

Reaction score
Yep, pretty much what everyone else said...I replaced my rear pads at 28k and now the fronts just tripped the sensor at 31k..so here i go again.

hayel

Reaction score
yes, i have a 2014 LR4 and have 40,000KM i have replaced the rear pads 3 times so far which is not normal. the front so far 2 times but it seems that the rear wear faster!

is there any other pads that will last longer?

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the clearance on the rears and make sure your pads aren't dragging without the brakes being applied.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd throw some numbers at this thread for reference. Just had the 1 year free service completed on my 2015. Service tech says my rear pads are at 4mm and ready to be changed. Vehicle has 8000 miles on it. Fun stuff!!! They want $441 to service rear only, needless to say I will be doing this work myself. I knew the quote was going to be outrageous based on all the other numbers I see everyone posting for various types of work. Leaning towards EBC Greens unless someone can steer me otherwise.

From a service side of things, sounds like I don't need to be worried about the pad sensors if my light hasn't come on? This service sounds pretty straight forward.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, only 8k miles.

Yes, you should be able to reuse the rear sensor, I did. It's pretty straight forward since your not changing the rotor.

Although I haven't used the greens (yellow and orange for me) others have with no issues. Plus he green are super inexpensive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV