Kaymar Bumper Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to see the Tactical bumper on someone's LR4 before going all the way. If anyone has one on order, please post up. I am serious. I like the Kaymar but the terrain where I live is not going to allow it to survive long.
I agree, it would be great to see one on an LR4 and how it all comes together. I do like the look of it, though it does not have the integrated lights; however, I don't think it's an issue because it looks like their swing away doesn't block the tail light. I did a custom swing away on my Kaymar, and I do like the Kaymar, but it's not meant for really heavy hitting. It's fine for the overland stuff I do, as I wouldn't even want to abuse this truck in that manner.

That's why I am looking for an old FJ80. :)

Regards, David

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone with the Kaymar had to re-shim theirs? I noticed the other day a considerable difference in how level my bumper is, lower on the spare tire swing arm side than I remember. I'm going to take it apart this weekend and attempt to re shim. Has anyone else experienced this? No damage to the bumper itself but I did come down ******* the high lift jack point on the "higher" side while wheeling a few weeks ago so that may be part of it.

harbinger808

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and my LR4. I've ordered a Tactical4x4 rear bumper with side steps and swing away from Eric. I should have it installed in 2 weeks. I'll post pics for those interested.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone with the Kaymar had to re-shim theirs? .

I installed mine a couple times, I forget why it came off to do something but I did it myself and recall those big washers or something and it was pretty straight forward with same number on each side.

I have never seen it change though. A solid hit at the right angle could possibly shift the thing though. It may not necessarily need different number of shims now but just a loosen up, align, then re-set and torque again?

dsm02c

Reaction score
I put the T4x4 rear bumper on my LR4, apparently I was the first, had it shipped not knowing if it would fit... Installs just like the LR3... Really easy install too...

O29TFHH.jpg

Pmp8pLo.jpg

iSHCCI4.jpg

Last edited:

dcorn

Reaction score
Did you have to shim either side to get the bumper to fit properly? I have the T4x4 bumper installed as well on my 2013. Eric did the installation this past weekend; however, I have a larger gap on the right side than the left. Eric suggested shims, but we were both very tied after a long day and stopped.

Attachments

• LR4RightSide.jpg
    LR4RightSide.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 44
  • LR4LeftSide.jpg
    LR4LeftSide.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 35
  • LR4RightRear.jpg
    LR4RightRear.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 42
  • LR4LeftRear.jpg
    LR4LeftRear.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the T4x4 rear bumper on my LR4, apparently I was the first, had it shipped not knowing if it would fit... Installs just like the LR3... Really easy install too...

O29TFHH.jpg

Pmp8pLo.jpg

iSHCCI4.jpg
Thanks for posting! Interesting that the rear bumper do not have the side steps like he used to have for the LR3 bumper. Did you integrate the sensors or does Eric drill the holes at his workshop?

dsm02c

Reaction score
I was in a rush back in May to get a bumper and the Kaymar with freight from Oz was insane... And based on my old LR3 and climbing under the LR4 it all looks exactly the same and took a chance on the T4x4. I would have gotten side steps if I wasn't in a hurry, in terms of the sensors I disconnected them, which sucks because you lose the keyless sensor for the rear hatch (and obviously the sensors). The holes were in my bumper, however, due to the sensor mounts being riveted into the factory bumper cover I didn't pull them, I don't see ever putting the OEM bumper back on but you never know...

I have started taking steps to install the sensors back in the bumper (I take my tire carrier off when not wheeling as it's super easy to do, and have a full size spare under the car all the time) and would love to gain the sensors back.

In terms of shimming the bumper I didn't have to do anything... I guess I got lucky, Eric has to be a much better installer than me (obvious, I am a sales guy) and it's a bummer you have that gap dcorn, what about drilling a new hole for the bolt that mounts on that side to secure it higher than stock? How would you even shim the bumper? It's literally 4 bolts...?

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great first post, thanks! I like that bumper, still undecided if I want to get one though. More importantly, are those BFG's on 18s? What's going on there?

dsm02c

Reaction score
Thanks, the bumper is great, if I ever get around to 3D printing a spacer to fit in the hole I will make them available to everybody so we can have parking sensors.

Yes, those are the 18" LR3 wheels, I took Scott Brady's method of using 1.25" spacers from BORA, they worked really well, I've beat on them and wheel the truck at least 2x a month, I swap wheels with the factory 19" and take the spacers off for DDing... I don't run a full time lift, use a IID Tool and rods.

I don't love the way the spacers make the truck look from behind while dirving an un-lifted truck, but then again I can't see it normally...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut