Impressed with Towing (6600lbs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the "Gen 3" version released? Did you purchase it from your dealership?

Im not 100% on when the Gen 3 was released. Sometime around the LR4... I think slightly after. Yes you can pick them up from any dealer.

The Gen 2 was on my CPO'd LR3.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked the one I have. It has the same information stamped on it. It is the same as yours. Now I can see that they may not want someone to use a weigh distribution hitch on these given how the WDH works and the rotational torque that could put on the OEM hitch. (Though the Hensley I have operates very differently than a typical WDH so I am not sure there would be the same issue.) Anyway, I played it safe for now by going with the Curt. The only headache for me is the full size spare needing to go somewhere other than under the car. But I must admit that if I ever need to do a change when I am off roading it will be much easier to get it out of the back of the truck where it currently resides.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a better solution for anyone that is interested, drop me a pm w/email and I can send you some info on it.

Tachyon

Reaction score
With my LR3, I towed a 5,000 lb boat setup over 10,000 miles with zero issues. It had a very heavy tongue weight, I estimate at 500 lbs+. With my LR4, I'll be towing a 6,500 lb Jeep and trailer across the Rockies from Minneapolis to Moab (1,200 miles?) and I'll report back in to let you know how it goes.

I'm fitting a Tekonsha brake controller, and keeping the LR4 cargo light in order to abide by the rear axle weight rating. While I previously had a Suburban, I'll tell you the brakes and suspension components on the LR4 are significantly more stout. The only real drawback I see is the short wheelbase.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5100 lbs dry. Around 6200 loaded. Tongue weight around 650. Hensley Cub hitch. Curt bolt on receiver. (Didn't trust the OEM receiver.) Tows great through the mountains of CO. Using the Curt hitch meant I can't put my spare underneath. That is pain.

Tachyon, why tow a jeep when you have a LR? :confused: Unless you are heading their for the Easter Jeep Safari. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 32

Tachyon

Reaction score
Easter Jeep Safari indeed... I've off roaded the rovers in the past, and they do well, but I don't mind banging my Jeep off of rocks, and I love going *******, so the Jeep is what I use the most. Here's some pics of my trailering setup, and also the brake controller install.

I'm able to just zip tie the controller to the tilt wheel lever with a releasable zip tie, so it will be easy to remove between trips.

Yesterday I towed about 30-40 miles for a quick test, brakes worked great, the LR towed with no problem. I even climbed some of the steep hills in town (we live in a river town, so they are indeed steep) with no issue.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36

Tachyon

Reaction score
The Jeep is on 37's with lockers front and rear, 1-ton steering components, full beadlocks, powertank, 4:1 low range, gussetted front axle, and a handful of other mods...it does pretty well, though at Easter Jeep Safari it will be quite "average" - lots of $100K jeeps are running around out there, this is not one of them.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Clearly your Jeep is better equipped for the "safari" and there will definitely be potential for it getting banged up. We don't do the difficult trails in Moab. And as for the safari we have scheduled our vacation (which will include a few days in Moab) to avoid that week. Moab will be crazy busy! I am sure you will have great fun!

BTW, did you use the OEM plug-in receiver to pull your boat and now your Jeep/trailer? There is a part of me that still wonders if I should to back to the OEM receiver. I want to believe it can handle our 6K lbs trailer with the 700 lbs tongue weight.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, did you use the OEM plug-in receiver to pull your boat and now your Jeep/trailer? There is a part of me that still wonders if I should to back to the OEM receiver. I want to believe it can handle our 6K lbs trailer with the 700 lbs tongue weight.

I went with the OEM Gen4.

Land Rover stamped 770lbs on it with the redesign and thats what I'm gonna beleive. If I have an issue then you can all jump in on my class action case! :bandit:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the OEM Gen4.

Land Rover stamped 770lbs on it with the redesign and thats what I'm gonna beleive. If I have an issue then you can all jump in on my class action case! :bandit:

Did it have "Gen 4" stamped on it? (How did you know it was Gen 4?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV