Broke my glass roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Domoic

Reaction score
I have had my LR4 for just over 12 months.

I had a large roof rack installed....expedition style (non-OEM) roughly at the time of purchase.

I have a ladder on the back.

Thus, I have been on the roof countless times.

Last week, I was kneeling on the roof, shifted my weight (I am 200 lbs), felt the glass compress under my knee, and then it cracked and spider-webbed over 1/3 of the glass.

I am surprised this happened - is anyone else? Or am I a bit naive?

Repair bill is not going to be nice.

Thanks

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only heard of one other guy getting his roof replaced. I think his instance was from the dealer installing the roof rails and the glass cracked.

I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to ever put anything on the glass itself, especially me! You said you have been on the glass several times or the expidition rack? I'm sure the rack can support you, but not the glass.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That blows big time!!! Please share with us what the bill ends up being as a reminder to avoid putting weight on the glass.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously sad this happened but at least you've warned us all not to have much faith in the weight bearing department for the top glass.

Marty

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is a $1,400 repair bill - dealer replacement job.

K18K34

Reaction score
I recently had my glass roof replaced/repaired on my 2011 LR4. It was cracked going through a car wash. I did it through insurance, but the total bill including replacing the antenna was around $2,400. Be careful, I did my repair through the dealer and they did a horrific job. Replacing the roof requires the removal and reassembly of the headliner. I received my car back with grease stains and indentations all over the Ivory headliner as well as a broken 3rd row sunscreen. Since that point I have been dealing with Land Rover NA to have my issues resolved since the dealer (Hornburg LA) has taken the view that grease stains and broken sunscreens are normal when performing repairs.

Brep

Reaction score
K18K34 Do you think the crack occurred from the car wash hitting the glass roof or the sudden temperature change? I live in Las Vegas and if it is from changes in temperature, it would definitely alter when I get my car washed, early mornings versus later in the day. I go to a Hand wash place, but figured I would ask.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still...I've handwashed mine in the FL 110+ degree heat and it it with cold water, no ill effect.. Hm...

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still...I've handwashed mine in the FL 110+ degree heat and it it with cold water, no ill effect.. Hm...

Agreed. I would think the roof glass would be tempered like the rest of the truck.

Marty

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not trying to start any issues here, but I would never have been on the roof and expected the glass to support me. Even if it weren't glass, I would never stand on the sheet metal of a vehicles roof either. I may be overly cautious, but that just seemed like common sense to me.

The crazy thing is, I went and looked all through the owners manual looking for a warning of some type to tell you to stay off the roof or even not set anything on the roof glass. I came up with nothing.

Like I said, I'm not trying to offend anyone. It just seemed like putting anything on a big sheet of glass like that was a bad idea.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut