Battery life on Discovery 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could not start my Discovery 4 today after returning home. It did turn on kind of weird when I was leaving the hardware store and upon our return home and turning it off it would not turn on again.

This is a 2011 with 11,000 miles and 20 months of use.

NWLRFan

Reaction score
I remember a thread about the key fob being stored too close to the vehicle draining the battery somehow.

backtoLR

Reaction score
I had a complete flat battery after 10 months and brought the car to the dealership, but they couldn't find anything wrong with the battery. 3 weeks later the battery was so flat that the car had to be towed to the dealership. They found a faulty amplifier drawing too much amperage in standby mode, updated the software and replaced the battery. This seems to be common theme these days since this happened to my previous LR3 and BMW.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the battery ratings. A high end battery at 1000 CCA should give you at least 5 years. Once you put in a new battery, you should go by a local parts store and have them do a free charging system test, your voltage should run from 13.6 to 14.4 or you will have problems.
Might clean and reinstall all your battery cables and consider doing a voltage draw test to see if you have a replay or switch sticking.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless there is an electrical issue, in my experience the stock Varta battery is engineered to fail a split second after your factory warranty is up... (4 years or 50K miles, whichever occurs first.) The Interstates they use as replacements in North America - there are no Vartas available here - seem to have a longer life. I read Land Rover is starting to use AGM batteries on certain models, but the battery on my 2013 LR4 is still the flooded type.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the battery ratings. A high end battery at 1000 CCA should give you at least 5 years. Once you put in a new battery, you should go by a local parts store and have them do a free charging system test, your voltage should run from 13.6 to 14.4 or you will have problems.
Might clean and reinstall all your battery cables and consider doing a voltage draw test to see if you have a replay or switch sticking.

Should I assume the original battery is high end and at 1000 CCA?

I put it on a battery tender overnight and it woke this morning and started immediately. I still wan t to take the car in for a checkup to see if there is anything drawing too much current or the a problem with alternator not charging properly.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I called LR service yesterday and they picked up the Discovery within the hour and had it back two hours later. They replaced the faulty battery under warranty after they ran a check.:tongue:

discotwinturbo

Reaction score
Vehicle alternators have never "properly" charged batteries from what I understand, and with newer ones like the Disco the alternators only switch on when needed, thereby never giving modern batteries what they need.
I have always put my vehicle batteries on a smart charger once a month and have never had a battery last anything less than 5 years.
My previous 4wd battery was 7 years old before I sold the car, and my Touareg battery is now 5 years (on a diesel). My D4 diesel is 18 months old and never experience low battery issues.
Smart charging once a month seems to work for me...preventive maintenance.
Brett....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV