Liftmaster Garage Door Opener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That works for older Chamberlain openers with rolling code. New openers with MyQ technology are not compatible with the Homelink mirror in the LR4 (up to MY13, anyway. Newer model years may have been updated.)

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to use the repeater as well with my 2010 LR4. The 2013 BMW 6 series worked without the repeater.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2015 HSE and have a Chamberlain Liftmaster. What I had to do was:

1) Program the visor to the garage door opener as normal...which obviously does nothing yet...see next steps...
2) Push the "learn" button on the garage door unit (was behind the light cover..purple button)
3) I then had 30 seconds to go back to the visor and hold the programmed button down for 2 seconds...then release. Repeat the 2 second hold and release 3 more times.
4) Profit!

Those directions were in the manual under "Progressive programming" or something like that. I didn't need to use a repeater. Hope that helps some...
The repeater is only for liftmaster garage door opener.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Liftmaster after failing to program the homelink system in the LR4 rear view mirror to open a new Liftmaster garage door opener we got for our new house. Here's the explanation I got:

New Liftmaster (Chamberlain, Craftsman) door openers will not work with the Homelink system installed on older (~2013 or older) vehicles, including Land Rovers. In order for the homelink system to work with the new technolgy used in new Liftmaster openers we need to install a "bridge" or "repeater" and program the homelink system in our LR4s (and any other cars) with the remote they send as part of the bridge kit. After programing the car with the supplied remote, it will communicate with the bridge and the bridge will communicate with the opener to open/close the door.

After the lady asked me which cars we had and I told her we had a Porsche and a Land Rover, she said "you will love your Land Rover even more now" and explained to me that Land Rover covers the cost of the bridge and I would just pay $7 for shipping. I should get my bridge via UPS in a few days. I'll let you know how the programming goes.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The repeater will program just fine to your 2013. The one issue you will have is that the battery backup feature of the garage opener - if you have a model with such a feature - will not work in case of a power outage since obviously, when the power goes down, so does the repeater. I keep one of the original remotes that shipped with the opener in my glove box for such an occurrence. Otherwise, the repeater will solve your problem (range may be reduced slightly compared to the original remote.)

FWIW, the Homelink of my wife's 2012 Ford operates the new Chamberlain opener without the repeater, so while it is true that some older vehicles may be incompatible, not all of them are... Depends on the car manufacturer and how quickly they implemented the new technology of these new openers in their models.

Last edited:

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what Liftmaster support said: The technology change happened sometime in 2012 so all vehicles older than 2012 will not work and from 2012 onwards it's a matter of how soon each manufacturer switched to the new technology.

I have a wireless keypad (377LM) outside to open the garage door when the remote doesn't work or in case of power outage (it's powered by a 9V battery).

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the keypad too, but that involves walking from car to keypad to open the garage, then walking all the way back to the car. That's a lot of walking. Nobody walks in L.A. :biggrin:

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only complaint now is that I have to get really close to the garage door in order for it to open up now. Waiting an extra 10 seconds while I'm stopped on my driveway is such a pain

ChaAZydTalyr

Reaction score

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72