Strut or suspension failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shrinkboy

Reaction score
I checked through old posts and couldn't find anything that seems to replicate what I'm seeing on my rig (2011 LR4, no mods).

When I park, there's a small but noticeable dip on the front left corner of the hood. This is easily confirmed by measuring between the top of the front tires and the bottom of the wheelwell/fender - it's about an inch lower than the front right. I've cycled the suspension, and the height difference is constant in each mode, and I'm not getting any extra compressor cycles out of the thing - it's that low the second I park it and doesn't drop overnight.

I have it slated for the 60k checkup and a diagnostic next week, but thought I'd lean on the collective wisdom here as well.

Ideas? Rituals to try? I think I can get my hands on a used goat...

gghaggis

Reaction score
It could be a height sensor (failing / out of calibration) if it's constantly lower, or are you saying it physically drops 1" when you park?

Cheers,

Gordon

shrinkboy

Reaction score
It seems like it's permanently off on that corner - driving (thought it's less noticeable) and from the second I park it. It's not an auto-leveling thing.

gghaggis

Reaction score
Primary suspect would be the height sensor then.

Cheers,

Gordon

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got some experience with suspension issues on my LR3, anyhow
it sounds as gghaggis says, the height sensor. Calibration settings may be off as well...
if it doesn't drop overnight a leak is highly unlikely

shrinkboy

Reaction score
Had the Dealership in Littleton check it out - even kept it overnight, pulled the fuse and saw no drop.

Consensus is that my head is crooked.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt your head is crooked, but they need to be prompted with the correct buzz word to know what to do. Height Calibration, which you need to ask for, often done at the same time as a 4 wheel alignment, but not "included". It used to be. If you don't ask for it, you probably won't get it.

shrinkboy

Reaction score
They did do a full height calibration check, only 3mm difference between front left and front right.

Took it up onto some of the beater roads here in CO (uglier than a dirt road, easier than an empty creek bed) and it sailed through everything.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense, often some adjustments are made for the roads in your area.. So you should be in good shape..

Awesome vehicles when everything is in synch!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut