Gear Totes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Lets see em...:eek:
What do you prefer (make and model... there are so many)?
What do like about them?
Which ones to avoid?
Environmental proof?
What gear do you put in them?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By "totes" do you mean specifically bags, like a duffel bag?

I use The North Face dry-bag 'style' duffels. The material itself is very durable, probably waterPROOF but none of the seams are sealed. Several sizes from tiny to behemoth.

A cool modular system is by MountainSmith the backpack maker. Their design is more square shaped so fitting in vehicles works well when packing tight although they wouldn't be as flexible/crushable for stuffing into a spot like the above North Face duffels.

Speaking of "behemoth", my favorite rolling travel duffel is branded Dana Design before they sold and you could get inside it if curled up.

A cross between the above is the super crazy huge Black Diamond Duffel that is water proof I think and twice as thick rubberized material as the North Face version. It's the sort of thing you put your packs and gear in to fly it to a big mtn climb.

Rovers North and Atlantic British have a couple decent recovery gear bags that are heavy canvas and stitched well. I have one which holds two ****** straps, 4 shackles, 2 pulleys, 1 tree strap, 1 drag chain, winch line damper, misc high-lift parts like wheel lift, repair bits. It sits in one of the 3rd row footwells under the cargo floor level and the high-lift actually is mounted cross wise also below floor level right where you'd normally see the cargo cover storage slot between the 2nd and 3rd row seats when folded flat. A 48" shaft fits sitting onto the wheel well humps and the jack arm and head hang downward. All tied down through either the seat mounts or with some seats removed, use the remaining torx 55 bolt to mount a cargo tie-down loop (also found on the above land rover parts source stores)

This puts the high lift both out of the weather but also as low as possible for center of gravity. Even with the area full of gear, I can slide it out the starboard 2nd row door as that's the end with the crank head.

(I hate putting anything heavy on the roof that isn't required up there as it makes the handling even worse and overloads the roof well beyond whatever the few mount points were designed to handle.)

Inside for "totes" though. Another direction is rigid containers whether it be basic plastic bins with latches or expensive but awesome aluminum cases (see Equipt). I have used various bins for 15 years. The beauty of rigid is for the inherent multipurpose function in that they not only hold stuff but can also be a seat, or sit in the mud or be stacked up as a step, create a table, sleep platform, etc.

All can be held down by using various strapping to the cargo hold down loops.

Last edited:

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring more to the plastic bins/totes/containers people use for their camping/overland gear.

I have used for many years the Contico Tuff boxes, but they are not water/moisture proof. They have proven very durable, and offer great seating, but I have never had to travel through rain, or been willing to pack anything in them that may get wet.

I have since acquired 2 used Pelican 1620 from my work, but may want to go to the 1630 for a little more room. They are just really expensive, so I was trying to get a feel for what everyone else was using.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes, that's a more rugged direction. I have several of both Pelican and Stormcase. The Pelican 1650 is a good size and I have 2 Storms in the next taller/bigger size. I have a few 1500 and a 1600 but those are just for film or grip parts.

The main thing with these is how heavy they are.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pelican 1630 and 1730. Plano cases. (EO)2 mount on roof and 1730 cases.

IMG_20150613_104423.jpg

IMG_20150611_163611.jpg

IMG_20150610_193727.jpg

IMG_20150604_201851.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the cases I did because of sizing. For the roof rack, I wanted to stay a low height was I could but maximum space. And the 1630 and Plano cases fit very nicely next to each other in the back with a little room to spare (so i can open the lids and fit a few things between them.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV