Rear brake pads wearing faster than fronts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedGTS

Reaction score
Anyone had this happen? My '12 has 26k miles, and at its recent service they said the brake pads are at 8mm front (fine) and 5mm rear (will need replacement in the near future). It seems odd to me that the rears would wear out before the fronts, unless the brake bias on these things is set up in an unusual way.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's pretty normal considering the weight on these rides. I've had to change my rears on my RRS twice and changed the fronts once since I've owned it.

RedGTS

Reaction score
that's pretty normal considering the weight on these rides. I've had to change my rears on my RRS twice and changed the fronts once since I've owned it.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the weight wearing brakes faster. I was just under the impression that with the weight transferring forward as you brake physics dictated that more of the weight is borne by the front axle and therefore front brakes, which has been my experience with other cars in the past. But maybe the system is set up so that the rears clamp earlier or stronger or something.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Volvo wagon had the same setup. Back brakes grip first / harder to prevent nose diving.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, and Andyboy said, it is fairly normal and counter-intuitive. Perhaps the rear pads are thinner to begin with....

RedGTS

Reaction score
Yes, and Andyboy said, it is fairly normal and counter-intuitive. Perhaps the rear pads are thinner to begin with....

Hadn't thought of that possibility. Well, whatever the reason it sounds like it's not unusual on the LR4. I was mainly just wondering if the tech who measured them made a mistake, and it sounds like the answer is probably not.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's quite normal for these vehicles. It's a combination of the front brakes being substantially larger than the rears on the LR4, along the "intelligent" braking system designed to minimize nosedives when braking. I have also gone through more sets of rear pads than front ones so far (although discs seem to last about the same amount of time.)

jim6090

Reaction score
is there a typical life span for rotors? I was hoping for 100k miles. Might be optimistic. 2012 LR4 with 53k miles new rotors and pads as a CPO with 33k miles. Still seems perfect.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on how and where you drive but yeah, 100K miles seems a bit unrealistic even in a best case scenario. My rotors seem to last about 2 changes of pads on average, so anywhere between 40K and 60K miles or so, but that's my driving style (city / highway mix, lots of traffic, hot and dusty conditions, 30-35K miles per year.) YMMV.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the front brake pads bigger on the LR4? I recall the pads being about the same size front and rear on the LR3.

I'm not sure that the 'intelligent' braking system part isn't just made up by someone in marketing somewhere. The rears have been wearing out sooner all the way back to my '91 Range Rover County, which was cool in a lot of ways, but certainly not intelligent at all!

That said, it's kind of strange, and I think there's a lot of ideas. But in the end it just is what it is and you're good to go :)
Carry on...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72