12V portable air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I started looking for a 12V portable air compressor.
I will not hard wire it and I am not looking for air tank either. ( maybe in the future) .
Just need something reliable , reasonably fast source of air to get my tire pressure back to normal after a day of off roading.
So far I looked closer at those three compressors.

1. Smittybuilt 5.65 CFM Air Compressor S/B2781
$150
5.65 cfm rating is at 0 psi. the rating at 30 psi is 2.5, at 60 psi it is 1.7 and at 90 psi it is 1cfm.
Duty cycle 40 min

2. Viair 450P Automatic
$260-280
•12-Volt
•Permanent Magnetic Motor
•Duty Cycle: 100% @ 100 PSI
•Max. Working Pressure: 150 PSI
•Max. Amp Draw: 19 Amps
•Net Weight: 12.95 lbs.

1.66 CFM at 0 PSI
1.34 CFM at 30 PSI
1.18 at 60PSI

3. ARB CKMP12

$280-290
http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/PDF/compressorTechnicalSpecifications.pdf

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air Compressor

Pulling 19 Amps is a lot so you'll not be getting that off the power points. I'd guess you'll be looking at battery clamps or something similar for power while the vehicle is running.

Have you looked at one of the pumps that is supplied for vehicles with no spares? I believe Michelin and maybe others have some smaller pumps that take up little room and put out a reasonable amount of air. They were designed to use after adding sealant to a flat and then inflating a tire so I don't know how fast they will inflate the tire.

I do know the really cheap ones are best used as anchors for model boats. They overheat after a few minutes and are useless.

Here's one that may suit your needs:
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Slime-40026-Air-Compressor/p7634.html#reviews

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Viair 450 and it is an excellent piece.Solid, well built and quiet.
I also use it for airing back from off road adventures or beach driving.

19 amps is NOT a lot.Your LR4 pulls, that when you open doors and 25 amps when you turn keys into position II , so as longest the engine is running while inflating tires, you will be fine..Buy it and don't look back.
Those compressors that usually come with a car , such as my friends audi Q7 are a joke…you can try to inflate one tire with it , in case of emergency, which is usually airing up your spare, but if you think about off road use for four tires, more solid equipment comes to mind, such as Viair..
When I pulled mine out to inflate mine , after a good and challenging off road day at Winter Romp, everyone was impressed how solid it looked and off I went with airing up from 20 psi to appropriate levels , in no time.

It comes with solid, crocodile style connectors that you plug directly on battery , so no worries about a growing amps thru cigarette socket in many others , as such outlets are only allowed to pull a 15 amps max.Good luck.

Last edited:

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only point in stating 19 amps is a lot is that the cigar lighter and power points are fused at 20 amps. 19 amps puts those fuses at their top point and any heating or extra load on that compressor would blow the fuses. You just need clamp on cables, that's all.

Since I don't have keys to turn into position II, I guess I'll not see 25 amps from that source.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I believe the 12v power points and cig lighter are fused at 15 amps. Any self respecting compressor should come with alligator clips to hook it up to the battery terminals and bypass the limitations of other fused 12v power sources in the car.

Of those 3 choices above I'd pick the Viair. Its reputation and performance are both proven and impeccable as portable compressors go. The ARB is a huge commitment (space-wise) and the Smittybuilt should be cheaper - if you want to go cheap, get a $60 Q Industries MV50, it's a lot of compressor for your buck if your usage is only occasional, and takes even less room than the Viair.

Last edited:

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I believe the 12v power points and cig lighter are fused at 15 amps. Any self respecting compressor should come with alligator clips to hook it up to the battery terminals and bypass the limitations of other fused 12v power sources in the car.

Of those 3 choices above I'd pick the Viair. Its reputation and performance are both proven and impeccable as portable compressors go. The ARB is a huge commitment (space-wise) and the Smittybuilt should be cheaper - if you want to go cheap, get a $60 Q Industries MV50, it's a lot of compressor for your buck if your usage is only occasional, and takes even less room than the Viair.

Nope...the manual shows 20 amps for all the power points and the cigar lighter. At least for the 2012 and 2013....

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right, they upgraded the fused 12v receptacles to 20A (they used to be 15A on my 2006 Sport.) Still not enough to run a powerful compressor such as those listed above, though.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your feedback.
All of those compressors connect to cars's battery.
Umberto, I agree with you that for airing up tires it is a lot of compressor but I am one of those guys who prefer to spend a little more money once i stead of getting something cheaper and replacing it later.
I have been using a cheap sears cigarette lighter compressor and it takes forever.
I is not fun when it is over 100°F outside. From what I read I looks like Viair 450 does not heat up a lot.
I did not mention in my post but I was thinking about getting Viair 450P automatic .
I am glad that you guys had good experience with it.
I think all of you have helped to solve my " problem". Thank you.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! You guys are going to have me spending a ton of money on my truck long before I have it! At least when I do start enhancing it I will have so much great advice from this forum. Or maybe I should just do a Christmas in July thing and present my wish list to my wife. ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut