Rough idle, Engine stalls below 1100 RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parke

Reaction score
This started while driving in the mountains. Everything was running fine, shut off my 2000 Disco in low gear, restarted and since then the RPMs drop fast below 1100 and will stall unless I am pushing the throttle. The idle also became rough and the bonus is NO CODES. Ahh the joys of Land Rover. Any ideas?:confused:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has to be a code if it is running that bad, I would get the codes read any way to make sure.
How many mile on the engine, when was it's last tune up along with new 8 mm plug wires and when was the last time you cleaned the t/body and idle solinoid. Might also check and make sure there are no cracks any where on the air intake tube.

parke

Reaction score
To top it all off my water pump started leaking last night, TC and downhill assist control light came on so 2 of the three amigos, still waiting on Chevy Chase to show up. YAY! Ordering a new one today, I'm putting everything on hold until it gets here. Otherwise I may just burn it to the ground.:hmpf: Think I just need a break:biggrin:

parke

Reaction score
I couldn't stay away from working on the Disco and thank you for the quick reply DiscoMike!!! OK, now that I'm in a better mood. All the symptoms WERE as follows:

1: Upon cold start throttle would have no response for up to 30 seconds
2: Rough idle with random misses
3: Popping sounds coming from inside the intake, sounded like backfires?
4: Engine RPM's would drop fast at 1100 when slowing vehicle
5: New right side Cat was glowing red, noticed while installing my new water pump a night

Water pump install went smooth. Noticed an electrical connection covered in oil, that would only be seen with with the water pump off. Cleaned with brake clean, did not take apart, just a surface clean. Same issues. Come out the next morning, truck finally threw some codes, but does NOT stall, no more popping sounds, cat was not glowing and is running smoother!! :smile: Not perfect but 90% better.

The following codes popped up:

1: P0300 Random/multiple cylinder excess emissions detected Excess emissions detected on more than one cylinder
2: P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire detected Injector 4 excess emissions/catalyst damaging level of misfire
3: P0333 Knock sensor 2 circuit high input (bank 2) RH bank signal greater than threshold determined from ECM model above 2200 rev/min
4: P0340 Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction Open/short circuit to vehicle supply or earth
5: P1175 System too lean (bank 2) Additive injector adaptive fuelling - lean limit exceeded RH bank

Ideas? Criticisms? Just want to tell me off? Anything would help, Thanks!!

shmoo235

Reaction score
had a similar issue with my '98 disco, all was great running super then just stopped idling. Could hold it with pedal ran great as soon as I let up died. Immediately thought vacuum couldn't find any breaks, spent several days with nothing finally just replaced "old" vac hose ends by cutting and reattaching. Boom started right up and has run fine since. good luck

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Park, PM me your number and I'll call you so we can get you back on the road.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV