You top 5 favorite "hand tools" when going off road?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. After the air compressor, tire repair, gloves, towing/winching stuff what 5-7 basic hand tools do you bring with you when you go off road. I'm not looking to bring a whole tool box and I don't expect to do any major repairs out in the boonies. But are there some basic hand tools that you have found useful? Just in case? Anything that is particularly useful for an LR4? Just adding a handful of basic things to my kit before I head to Ouray later this month.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always carry a decent torque wrench and a few sockets. Mainly for just changing wheels. Multimeter, zip ties, mechanics gloves, rags. I always carry enough tools to tighten the bolts on my rack, sliders, radio stuff, etc. Not much else besides the but-home bag type stuff.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For beach driving I bring along a tire pressure gage in case we need to air down, a sturdy shovel, ARB recovery strap & shackles and a 3' x 3' piece of plywood to support the jack if we get a flat tire.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the Vlair 450p, the inflator gun thing also acts as a deflator, so you dont need yet another overpriced fancy branded toy. :p

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the Vlair 450p, the inflator gun thing also acts as a deflator, so you dont need yet another overpriced fancy branded toy. :p

Obviously I haven't tried it yet. I haven't really needed to air down. But we'll have some rain ribs weekend and some areas will get slick. I may air down to get better traction on the slick surfaces.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The point of the deflator tool is that it will pull the needle out of the valve core, which allows you to deflate a hell of a lot faster. It's a significant difference when I am airing down from 40 to 18 psi in the sand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV