Increase mileage on LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, but I'm sure you didn't see no PRIUS' there!!!!
9 is good off-road . . . isn't that what th H2 gets on the freeway?

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, but I'm sure you didn't see no PRIUS' there!!!!
9 is good off-road . . . isn't that what th H2 gets on the freeway?

I can't badmouth the Prius, it's my wife's favorite car and the way I see it, every drop she saves is another drop for me. I had figured on 6-9 MPG for off-road, so I'm good.

Didn't see any Hummers out there either.

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think at this point everyone driving an LR3 has over 100,000mi. Mine used to get ~27MPG driving highway (driving like 1000mi) and 14MPG around town.

Having put steel wheels on it certainly killed the around town mileage for me, but it shouldn't affect the highway mileage as much (tire pressure might make a difference). Since stock is 17MPG OEM and 12MPG. The bigger drop I experienced going from 12MPG to 9MPG in the city and about ~13MPG on highway is due to the the engine running rich which happens when your catalytic converter efficiency is low, or your downstream oxygen sensors are out of calibration, or both. I am replacing mine with the MagnaFlow catalytic converters primarily because they use stainless steel like the stock exhaust. I'll let everyone know if that significantly improves my fuel consumption I am taking about adding 4MPG or so.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and not a big enthusiast, just trying to get some advice on increasing mileage. I'm averaging 16MPG right now. My father has a friend that wrote me a note which I will paste below. I don't know if he is talking about LR3s or not because I can't find any info on these upgrades on the web or on this forum:

----------------------------

Here’s the info for your car:

#1 Replace the Cold Air Intake – K&N Air System (@ $300) – Apparently an easy fix that you can do yourself

#2 Replace the exhaust system with a Barla or Dynaflow (cheaper) system (@ $300 to $500). This would have to be done by a shop. Range Rover puts in a super heavy system that puts a lot of back pressure on your engine.

#3 Put in a Computer Chip to calibrate the system. (@$50 to $500 at any auto parts store). This is the last thing to do as the other two will affect what the chip reads. This you can put in yourself.

My friend said he has done this with 4 Land Rovers and has increased mileage from 16 to 24 mpg.

----------------------------

Thanks for any advice!

LT

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My two cents is that gas has gone up $.50 a gallon since Biden took office.

Nelz99

Reaction score
Not to mention if you have a problem you would most likely be denied warranty coverage if you were to do any of the above modifications.

The LR3 already has a cold air intake that is what the grill in the passenger side fender is for.

16 mpg is not to bad really I avg 13.2

With the larger tires and cold weather gas here, I'm now getting 11.4. I think it's time I did a tune up.

mflecklr3

Reaction score
16 MPG is enviable. I don't think LR achieved perfection with the engine tune and intake/exhaust system but I do think these vehicles are heavy on sensors. Personally, I wouldn't do anything that potentially sends data the sensors aren't expecting (e.g. like more airflow). I used to get 12-14 around town and 19-21 on the highway without a roof rack and before my rear diff started having issues. The best way to increase your fuel economy is to get a 2nd car. For the price of the custom exhaust system, you can probably find a used Ford Fiesta :)

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting post. I guess I don't understand the anxiety related to 'mileage'. After all, these are off-road, heavy trucks. And, we spend thousands of dollars keeping them running.
I am one of those...

When I had an AM General H1, it would get maybe 11 MPG; it weighed over 7500 lbs. There were owners that would post about improving their milage. And, they would spend many thousands of dollars keeping them running, not to mention upgrades, gimmicks, etc. I was one of those...

It reminds me about a time when I went to the filing station to fill my little outboard boat. The guy next to me was filling his truck, and asked me if I spend much money on gas for the boat (it sips gas). I replied: "I spend far more money on beer and cigars; it's not something that I notice".

I really hope that I don't sound dismissive, but if this vehicle creates anxiety about mileage (among many other things), this may not be the vehicle for you...

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw I was able to restore my fuel efficiency after getting new catalytic converters mostly, the roof rack is next for me to install a aerodynamic fairing in the front, then maybe somehow lower the car when doing only highway driving since I have lift rods installed, the xlifter plugin computer allows height override so with a lower car, more pressure in the tires, new cats, and some aerodynamic adjustment I am going for 19MPG maybe 20MPG will see if that works.

16 MPG is enviable. I don't think LR achieved perfection with the engine tune and intake/exhaust system but I do think these vehicles are heavy on sensors. Personally, I wouldn't do anything that potentially sends data the sensors aren't expecting (e.g. like more airflow). I used to get 12-14 around town and 19-21 on the highway without a roof rack and before my rear diff started having issues. The best way to increase your fuel economy is to get a 2nd car. For the price of the custom exhaust system, you can probably find a used Ford Fiesta :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA