Scott Brady's AT Tire Review on Expedition Portal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprised at how badly the BFG performed (not completely surprised, though... Like the review says, it is an old generation, 20-YO design after all.) Would love to see how the new T/A KO2 does in that comparo. Also, some other very popular A/Ts - surely more popular than those mild mannered **** Cepek? - were sadly overlooked in their review, hopefully they'll be tested later.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprised at how badly the BFG performed (not completely surprised, though... Like the review says, it is an old generation, 20-YO design after all.) Would love to see how the new T/A KO2 does in that comparo. Also, some other very popular A/Ts - surely more popular than those mild mannered **** Cepek? - were sadly overlooked in their review, hopefully they'll be tested later.
I have been happy with my BFGs, but I do see some of the issues as their review mentioned. With that said, it's really the only E-rated option for me right now, though I am likely going more rugged in a few months - going to jump on the KO2's once they are released in the size I want. Or, perhaps the Duratrecs that are the E-rated version.

Tires actually give me a headache, but I do think the new BFGs will be a vast improvement. I will order them as soon as they are available.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, very excited to see what the KO2s offer and for the reviews to come in.

I had no idea the KO1 version was so old!

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can not complain about my E rated BFG TA KO. They are fine for my driving in Arizona desert and Sedona where we have lots of sharp rocks. I would not get this tire for driving in muddy terrain.
This summer we put probably 2500 highway miles and the tires did great.
So far so good with about 13,000 miles driven on BFGs and plenty of thread left. I am curious how the new TA KO2 will perform . I will definitely consider the new design when shopping for new tires. ( but looking how durable my BFGs are this will not be anytime soon).

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been happy with my BFGs, but I do see some of the issues as their review mentioned. With that said, it's really the only E-rated option for me right now, though I am likely going more rugged in a few months - going to jump on the KO2's once they are released in the size I want. Or, perhaps the Duratrecs that are the E-rated version.

Tires actually give me a headache, but I do think the new BFGs will be a vast improvement. I will order them as soon as they are available.

David,
We both got BFG at the same time correct? The new BFG TA KO2 in 265/65R18 should be available in few months. Why would you have to replace yours so early?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
We both got BFG at the same time correct? The new BFG TA KO2 in 265/65R18 should be available in few months. Why would you have to replace yours so early?
Yes, we did. I don't think the KO2s will be available until Spring 2015, at least in the 265/65R18 size. I likely won't switch yet, but I may move and actually need to think about something a bit more mud worthy. For my terrain, like yours, the BFGs do really well, except in mud. They are horrible!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MT and AT are usually quite different. MT needs a lot of space between the blocks to throw the mud out. AT (or any other non-MT) type tyres will tend to have the mud build between the blocks and pack until they are like slicks. Each type of tire has its advantages and disadvantages but you will be hard pressed to find one great at everything.

Mud terrain:
tire-tread.jpg

vs

All terrain:
bfg_alterr_tako_ci2_l.jpg

Last edited:

blainerides

Reaction score
Yes, we did. I don't think the KO2s will be available until Spring 2015, at least in the 265/65R18 size. I likely won't switch yet, but I may move and actually need to think about something a bit more mud worthy. For my terrain, like yours, the BFGs do really well, except in mud. They are horrible!
The LT265/65R18 KO2s will be available on April 15th; this is direct from BF Goodrich (in reply to my email). I'm anxiously awaiting them for our 2006 RR HSE 4.4 [emoji106] [emoji3]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick