Most fun I've had driving int he snow in a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that I almost never hear Michelins being referenced on this tire threads. I have had Michelins in various forms for years on my "crossover" vehicles. I have Latitudes on my MDX and on my wife's CRV. Are Michelins not as good for a truck like the LR4 or for back country touring or moderate off road?

I'm a big Michelin fanboy. I've had many sets of Pilot Sports 2 on previous cars and have a set of Pilot Super Sports on my 997TT. I think they make superb performance summer and all-season passenger tires. I've also had LXT's(?) all-terrain tires in my last winter beater (a 2002 JGC).

I just go by reviews and nobody has ever questioned the awesomeness of Nokian dedicated winter tires. If it were a sports car or sports sedan/hatch, I'd be less inclined to want ultimate snow traction at the expense of handling (especially in dry cold days), and I would look at tires differently (I've had Blizzak LM's and Dunlop wintersport 3D's). I would not hesitate to look at Michelin for those tires.

But when looking at tires where the requirements are primarily snow/ice traction, when reviews back up the reputation that Nokian has, why look elsewhere? ...unless it's a budget/sizing/availability issue.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would you be a fan of a hunk of round rubber? Its just a tire.

It's an expression. I've been very impressed with the performance of their summer tires. That's all.

But by your logic, no one should be a fan of any product or manufacturer. Tires are very sophisticated and complex products.

RAJOD

Reaction score
No its cool, I must be pretty dull. I just go with what works, don't really love any of the companies.

Michelins use to be great in terms of strong sidewalls. But that was 20 years ago, I am a bit out of touch on them now.

Do you know much about SL vs XL tires? Trying to get some Blizzaks DMv1
on either 18 or 19" rims. But the 30" and taller are all SL rated (44psi) and the 29" seem to be XL rated. No idea if they are both 10 ply. Just dont want to buy wrong tire and have it give out.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took the truck out again, plowed through a lot and helped a couple of people get out. The snow this morning in the DC area was somewhat powdery, but by late morning it had really turned wet, clumpy and slick. Got stuck a couple of times plowing through the piles. Got high centered plowing the wet stuff, but dug out. Had a blast!

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Thread is Worthless Without Photovideo -- LOL!

This is at work. Drove right over (through) that without breaking a sweat.

Attachments

• parking lot.jpg
    parking lot.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 48

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we are due for another 2-4 inches of snow tonight.. Left my nephews about and hour ago and took my time and enjoyed snow mode and had zero problems. It's weight is its big advantage now haha :creep:

Attachments

• IMG_8767.jpg
    IMG_8767.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 25

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is at work. Drove right over (through) that without breaking a sweat.

Quijote, is your truck Corris Grey? I notice you have black lettering on the front but not black wheels so not the Black Package.

I ask because our order was committed a week ago (just found out today) and it is Corris Grey. So we are stuck with it now. :smile:

It seems to show up well in the snow!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi