Disabling 2014 ECO Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tigertrash

Reaction score
I figured out how on my L405 and I am sure it will work on yours.

After months of HATING the system and having several close calls because of the system. I was determined to bypass it.

After doing lots of research on it, I finally talked to someone at JLR and told me it could be done but he couldn't tell me how (liability reasons)

Now for months I had been typing "Disable LAND ROVER intelligent Stop/start" into google and coming up with no success. It finally dawned on me to type JAGUAR instead of Land Rover into my search query and Voila. SUCCESS.

It seems that Jaguar owners discovered this trick about 2 years ago when the system was first intoduced.

They Intelligent Stop/Start system is linked to a separate smaller battery. On the L405 it is located in the luggage area behind a trim panel. All you have to do is unhook the Negative (-) lead from the battery to disable the system.

For safety sake I covered the whole lead with Electrical tape and wire tied it to the car, so it would not ground out anywhere.

It does not display any warning codes or error messages, it just disables the system.

Hope this helps.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great fix.
Intelligent Humans > Intelligent Start/Stop

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spent 2 days with a new LR4 loaner. Beautiful dark blue, almost black color I had never seen before. I prefer the V8 but the V6 with 8-speed tranny is fine, especially in sport mode.

But I HATED the ECO feature. I recently drove a friend's 535 with it and it was seamless. Any movement off the brake pedal and the engine instantly engages smoothly. On the LR4 there is a thud, a 1-second delay then you go. I turned it off after 2 stop lights. Land Rover, go find out how BMW made this feature tolerable.

And why replace the shift lever with the rotary wheel? It's a truck, not an appliance. And where did all the little storage bins go that hold gum, sunglasses, loose change, etc.?

Spending a few days with a 2014 made me wash, wax & detail my LR3 this past weekend, simply because I like it better than the 2014 LR4. I guess if you buy a 2014 it will be fine, as long as you don't already own an LR3 or 2013 LR4 that you can compare it to. To everyone here that motivated me to order a 2013 before the V8 was extinct - THANK YOU!

david_h

Reaction score
I think Land Rover better give the option to customers to turn off the feature, or understand that they will loose sales solely because of this issue.

david_h

Reaction score
I know that governments have been discussing ways to reduce pollution; suddenly I see that many car manufacturers are installing this ECO system in their new model cars; Does anyone know if this is a new government mandate over car manufacturers to install such system?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a mandate, but it is a relatively "cheap" way for car companies to meet (on paper, anyway) the increasingly stringent fuel consumption, emissions and and clean-air quality standards that various states and governments are starting to require from manufacturers in order to do business there without penalties for non-compliance. That's why I think that systems such as ECO are going to become commonplace on most cars, regardless of manufacturer, and if anything they will become harder to defeat and bypass, rather than the other way around.

Last edited:

david_h

Reaction score
In that case I agree with you, the system is here to stay and we better get used to it.
thanks for you input.

vpr80

Reaction score
It may look better on paper, but in the real world:
1) I HATE using a vehicle with these systems that is slow to respond and keeps turning off. The user experience sucks.
2) We all know that starting the engine does the most damage, so where is the net benefit on causing a ton of added use/wear/damage on the engine, starter, fuel pump, etc.

Beside that, where is that second small battery on the 2014/2015 LR4?

PS - 1 month until I get my 2015 HSE Lux.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's located in the engine's auxiliary battery compartment (opposite side of the main battery compartment) in the LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA