Terrain Response - "General Program"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vindio

Reaction score
Just purchased a CPO 2011 LR4 HSE with 51K miles. Love the truck, but have a question as we head into winter here in the North East: At what point of a snow storm do you typically engage the "Grass-Gravel-Snow" mode on the terrain response dial?

Does the truck use AWD (or 2WD) when on "General Program"? (the default position)

Thanks in advance!

v

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong about this but the truck is in AWD at all time. The Grass-Gravel-Snow mode basically starts the car in second gear to reduce the chance of tire spin. So your acceleration is slower but less chance of losing control if you pounce on it.

If the road is snow covered I usually throw it in Grass-Gravel-Snow...but also because I like to see the tire direction graphic :)

I also have a 2011 with 26K miles.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's correct. The truck is always in 4WD, but Snow mode changes the gears ratios, throttle response and ABS sensitivity to minimize chances of tire spins, especially when you take off. I would use it whenever there is snow on the road. If it's an arduous and slow crawl up or down steep and slippery / snowy hills, put TR in Grass/Snow mode and engage Low Range.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We don't get snow here in south Texas. So when ever we get rainfall, I throw it on grass/gravel. It gives the vehicle a substantial grip on the road and makes me feel much safer. But it also seems to suck down the gas a bit more than normal mode.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't find it super effective really. Starts in a higher gear, makes shift points lower. Pretty boring really. If you somehow manage to forget you're on snow and punch the throttle, the TC will kick in anyway. I could see it marginally helping up an icy slope if you're not particularly adept at throttle control.

Umberto, I'm confused by your low range comment. Snow mode effectively raises the gear ratios and low range lowers them. Low range would increase the chances of wheel spin, either up or down a hill. Or am I missing something simple?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The strategy of Terrain Response doesn't change when you switch from High to Low range (the exception being Rock Crawling, which doesn't even engage in High range. You have to drop to low first.) When you select Grass / Gravel / Snow mode for example, the emphasis of the program is on modifying the powertrain torque delivery to avoid wheel spin (mostly when you first get going), by applying torque to the wheels gradually and by making the traction control and related systems - such as ABS - especially sensitive to loss of traction. This happens whether you are in high or low range. In low range you obviously have shorter gears for more control and low-end torque to better negotiate harder / steeper obstacles at low speeds, but the overall strategy of the TR mode you have selected is the same.

Last edited:

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's correct. The truck is always in 4WD, but Snow mode changes the gears ratios, throttle response and ABS sensitivity to minimize chances of tire spins, especially when you take off. I would use it whenever there is snow on the road. If it's an arduous and slow crawl up or down steep and slippery / snowy hills, put TR in Grass/Snow mode and engage Low Range.

Snow mode does not change gear ratios. It changes shift points both up and down and starts in second gear from a stop. I would not recommend engaging low range on slippery hills. That will work against you. The increased torque on an already slippery surface is not advisable. Leave it in high range and consider turning off the traction control for increased wheel speed to maintain momentum. Slippery inclines are just one situation where the traction control system can really work against you.

We don't get snow here in south Texas. So when ever we get rainfall, I throw it on grass/gravel. It gives the vehicle a substantial grip on the road and makes me feel much safer. But it also seems to suck down the gas a bit more than normal mode.

The extra grip is a placebo effect in just rain, but if it makes you feel safer then go for it. Nothing wrong with that. The extra gas is a byproduct of the computer taking all the "edges" off of your inputs with the throttle. Also the change in shift points are showing their affect. That program takes the vehicle outside of the parameters which allow for best economy. Probably worth it though if you like the feel.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV