Newbie Question re Heavy Duty Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that is dubious info. To my knowledge, no trim model (HS, HSE, or Lux) has EVER came with HD pack (or rear locking diff) as standard. And certainly the only way to get the rear locking diff and full sized spare was via the $750 HD Package option.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that is dubious info. To my knowledge, no trim model (HS, HSE, or Lux) has EVER came with HD pack (or rear locking diff) as standard. And certainly the only way to get the rear locking diff and full sized spare was via the $750 HD Package option.

100% true.
Also some model years may display a green icon of rear differential on LCD screen together with a central diff. icon even though they did not have HD pack. This icon stays green all the time. Confusing? It must be Land Rover thing.
Just remember. No HD pack no rear locking diff.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference appears to be an "Rear active diff" versus a locking diff. Most 4x4s (my Rubicon as an example) simply have locking diffs, which works pretty well. Granted the "active diff" is likely an improvement but a 2012 without the HD package would appear to be significantly more off road capable than a '14 or '15 without the HD package.

That info from Motor Trend is bogus. No LR4, regardless of model year - except perhaps some limited edition, not sure - ever came standard with a locking rear differential as part of any trim (HSE, HSE Lux) unless fitted with the extra cost Heavy Duty package, which up to MY13 used to include the full size spare as well.

As of 2014, the HD pack also includes a 2-speed transfer case, which used to be standard in the LR4 up to MY13. Because a Terrain Response program (Rock Crawl) only engages in Low Range, that program is removed from the Terrain Response selections of MY14+ with a single speed transfer case and no Heavy Duty pack.

As far as different "flavors" of rear differentials, Land Rover only makes 2: an open / non locking rear diff (standard issue) and a locking one. "Active", "Electronic", "Electronically Controlled", etc., are all used to describe the same locking diff, which is indeed automatically activated as needed, without any input required from the driver.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Motor Trend statement since it is in quotations relates to the traction control system simulating a locked differential? :dontknow:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly the PDF's don't even help with this topic for clarity. This site has every LR4 PDF Brochure. Not a word of clarity on options packages for the years in any of them.

http://www.auto-brochures.com/land_rover.html

Either way I think we have all hopefully clarified what you should be looking for if the HD Package is an absolute must on your list.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting...but I'm 99% it's wrong. You need the HD to have a true electronically locking differential. And I'm not sure I get the space saving tire and alloy rim thing. It's a regular tire on an alloy rim like the other 4.

badgerbimmer

Reaction score
Called Land Rover, not that customer service knows, they confirm that Motor Trend is not correct.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get HD. Just the full size spare is worth it to me.

I seriously chunked my black 19" rim doing some Silicon Valley off-roading. Really. That curb came out of nowhere. [emoji41]

So I put the beautiful spare on and had no problem waiting the 7 days for my rim to be repaired like new.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get HD. Just the full size spare is worth it to me.

I seriously chunked my black 19" rim doing some Silicon Valley off-roading. Really. That curb came out of nowhere. [emoji41]

Yeah. You need to make sure you have it in 4L, 1st gear when you go curb crawling. (Isn't that one of the Terrain Response modes?)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi