Buying Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badgerbimmer

Reaction score
As a follow up to my previous post I would appreciate some buying advice. First I am focused on 2012s with the Land Rover used certification. The 2012 year seems to be the best combination of price, miles and remaining warranty with the Certified Warranty. The vehicle will be used for hunting (Colorado and Arizona), winter vehicle and driving back and forth from the midwest to CO and AZ. It is unlikely that I will be doing things like the Rubicon Trail. The LR4 will go off road while hunting through mud, snow, rock/gravel etc. that you find in CO and AZ. I am coming from a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon with a fair amount of mods. The Jeep is under powered (horrible in the mountains), can't tow much and is not all that great to drive cross country.

As far as the options on the LR4 I am pretty flexible although I presumed that the HD option is a must have. However LR4s with the HD option are not all that easy to find. Based on my use is HD a must have?

As an example of 2 options I am looking at now are a 2012 26,000 miles HSE/Lux interior and exterior colors i like with an asking price of $49,900 versus a 2012 46,000 miles HSE with HD and interior/exterior colors I can live with but wouldn't choose asking price of $43,900. Seems like the non-HD is the better value, but no HD...

Thoughts and advice please. Thanks.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a follow up to my previous post I would appreciate some buying advice. First I am focused on 2012s with the Land Rover used certification. The 2012 year seems to be the best combination of price, miles and remaining warranty with the Certified Warranty. The vehicle will be used for hunting (Colorado and Arizona), winter vehicle and driving back and forth from the midwest to CO and AZ. It is unlikely that I will be doing things like the Rubicon Trail. The LR4 will go off road while hunting through mud, snow, rock/gravel etc. that you find in CO and AZ. I am coming from a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon with a fair amount of mods. The Jeep is under powered (horrible in the mountains), can't tow much and is not all that great to drive cross country.

As far as the options on the LR4 I am pretty flexible although I presumed that the HD option is a must have. However LR4s with the HD option are not all that easy to find. Based on my use is HD a must have?

As an example of 2 options I am looking at now are a 2012 26,000 miles HSE/Lux interior and exterior colors i like with an asking price of $49,900 versus a 2012 46,000 miles HSE with HD and interior/exterior colors I can live with but wouldn't choose asking price of $43,900. Seems like the non-HD is the better value, but no HD...

Thoughts and advice please. Thanks.

I'm kind of in the same pickle. I'm looking at 12 or 13. My philosophy is to get every option I can get within my budget of under $50k. I'm not having too much trouble finding maxed out or near maxed out prospects within that budget but they normally have around 50k miles on them in my price range. I'm sure there are things I dont really need, I just WANT them. Especially handy would be the vision assist because I'll be towing more than most and off-roading some as well so HD is appealing, just don't know how much I REALY need the locking rear. I have electronic locking rear on our F1fiddy truck and I've never engaged it.
Anyway, im still probably just going to get what I want whether I need them or not but I'm interested in what the guys have to say.

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I would recommend is that if it is an early production run 2012 that you verify it doesn't have the chain tensioner issue. With the warranty it should be less of a concern. Just watch for any ticking noises. Hopefully most trucks have been fixed by now. There was an issue with 2011's and very early 2012's per my SA.

badgerbimmer

Reaction score
Only thing I would recommend is that if it is an early production run 2012 that you verify it doesn't have the chain tensioner issue. With the warranty it should be less of a concern. Just watch for any ticking noises. Hopefully most trucks have been fixed by now. There was an issue with 2011's and very early 2012's per my SA.

Thanks for the tip. What is considered an "early production run". I assume that you can tell the production date by the VIN.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. What is considered an "early production run". I assume that you can tell the production date by the VIN.

You should be able to. Or I typically look at the purchase date on the Carfax.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV