Terrifying brake pads consumption!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shehab

Reaction score
Shehab, what are the environmental conditions where you drive in Yemen? Desert, sand, arid conditions? Paved/unpaved roads? There must be some other key to this premature brake wear.

Glad you asked me that,

First I'll say that the weather here has (most of the year) dry air, a lot of dust and sometimes desert sand (Being next to Saudi Arabia).

Also, from the entire network of roads we have here, only 25% are paved nicely, the remaining 75% of road is filled with potholes, concrete speed humps and random asphalt roughness degree (some roads have soft asphalt, some roads have rough) in addition to a lot of unfinished roads.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not catch that he is in Yemen....yeah that could make a big difference depending on how conditions are...hot, dry, dusty and sandy all equal hell on brakes.

Last edited:

Shehab

Reaction score
That was actually a pickup I made from previous posts from Shehab in other threads.

That's my theory, that the rapid wear is related to the conditions there. Or maybe he drives like a bat outta hell!:rock:

:biggrin: Lol, I drive how the traffic says to,

I forgot to say that traffic here is unreal!!!
There's noway I can go 100 meters straight, drivers here are extremely rude and 75% of them don't know the basic driving ethics, and the public transportation is a nightmare, bus drivers here (anyone here can get a bus and make money with it) are at the top of the rudeness pyramid (sudden stops and blocking people and street's exits while waiting for customers and going really slow to hunt more passengers) But thankfully I was taught how to drive by my father who got his license in UK (the country with the ultimate driving ethics on Earth) so I'm not like them,

Aside from all that, what your saying is that traffic and weather conditions effect the brakes right?

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say absolutely yes. We are spoiled with good clean roads and reasonable traffic for the most part. The more harsh the driving conditions and the elements, the harder it is on every moving part of a vehicle and brakes would definitely take a pronounced beating in your environment. What you deal with just makes an obvious shortcoming of the LR4 worse.

Personally, I'm not sure what else you can do to make your brake wear better other than buying the best quality pads you can get??

Last edited:

Shehab

Reaction score
I would say absolutely yes. We are spoiled with good clean roads and reasonable traffic for the most part. The more harsh the driving conditions and the elements, the harder it is on every moving part of a vehicle and brakes would definitely take a pronounced beating in your environment. What you deal with just makes an obvious shortcoming of the LR4 worse.

Personally, I'm not sure what else you can do to make your brake wear better other than buying the best quality pads you can get??

I'll fit the best quality I can find, thanks for your help :smile:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add my info. I had LR complete the Inspection 2 service on my 2013 LR4 at 35k km (~22k miles) this week. Pads and rotors are still good.

They did replace my battery, which failed some test and surprisingly covered it under warranty! However, they also said I needed to change my charcoal canister at a cost of $215.. not covered under warranty. :hmmmm2:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to them, it was faulty... who knows?

Never had any displayed errors or anything.

kalR

Reaction score
My experience is that OEM brake pads don't last long. Most recently replaced just after 6k miles. Attributing to a bad batch of pads. Switched to after market cross-drilled rotors and ceramic brake pads. Hoping they will last longer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA