Awning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents,

After this last trip to Utah, I definitely want to add an awning to my truck. My issue is that I don't have a roof rack (just the OEM long roof rails). A buddy with an LR3 has a roof rack and purchased a roll out awning that was fairly easy to setup and pack up in a few minutes. The problem with his, aside from needing a roof rack to mount, you really needed two people to setup.

Are there any awnings that deploy easily and can either mount to the rails I have or is there a roof rack/awning combo that I could mount only for trips. I don't want a roof rack on full-time.

Hmm...I wonder if the OEM crossbars could be used to mount an awning? Anyone ever try that?

Cheers!
Tom

Last edited:

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Rhino Rack Sunseeker Awning and the ARB Awning. Both should be able to mount to crossrails (though the ARB does not come with mounting brackets, but the Sunseeker does) and both should be deployable by one person. Rhino Rack has videos on their website showing deployment.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Hmm...I wonder if the OEM crossbars could be used to mount an awning? Anyone ever try that?

Cheers!
Tom

I don't see why not. You could easily fabricate a mount to sandwich the cross bar with an "L" to mount the awning to.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rhino Rack looks good. But I just replace my Thule Aero's with Yakima Whisper and it is not clear whether the bracket works with the Yakimas. I'll need to check.

And, yes, I have a set of Thule through-bar aeros that were only used for one season but which have duct tape on them to cover some of the air gaps that were whistling.

(I changed to the Yakimas because they are extremely easy to put on and take off and I do this a few times a season.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA