Wet Carpets and Headliner - Water Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael99b

Reaction score
I have a 2014 LR4. I brought it to the dealership twice due to water getting inside the cabin. The first time they said they fixed a poorly routed sunroof drain tube which they thought was causing an overflow. The second time they said they replaced the sunroof pan as it was cracked in a few places. The leak has not stopped. I can see the water dripping from the airbags on the A-pillars and the overhead light. The carpets are soaked. It does not leak during light rain or rain that does not last an extended period...or at least I don't see evidence of such leaking like wet carpets. Leaking is evident after heavy rains or extended rain storms. Has anyone had similar problems? I have searched the forum but have not found any good answers or identical issues. Any help would be appreciated. I have contacted Jaguar Land Rover to seek their assistance in getting this fixed correctly. If it does not get fixed correctly this time, I will pursue my rights under the lemon law in my state. I hope they can fix it, as otherwise I really like the vehicle. On the other hand, I am a little worried about any future rust or electrical issues that may result from the leaks that I have experienced. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michael, search over on the LR3 forum. There are dozens of posts and helpful tips on this. I am guessing the design of the sunroof drain hoses has not changed dramatically from the LR3 to the LR4 based on your experience.

When I took mine in for this (I was past warranty) the dealership had an outside guy that they used for sunroof leak issues. It was a flat rate (not too expensive if I recall) and I haven't had a problem since.

Good luck!

Michael99b

Reaction score
Just in case anyone else has this issue now or in the future, I thought I would post an update. The dealer water tested the truck and discovered that the rear sunroof drains were not flowing at all. They dropped the headliner and found that both rear drain tubes had popped out of the clips that are supposed to retain them. Thus, the tubes were ****** upwards and the water could not get over the humps before spilling out of the sunroof tray and onto the headliner. Once the water got onto the headliner it would find the path of least resistance and let gravity take over....which in my case happened to be through the A-pillars and the overhead lights and then down underneath the carpet. The dealer put the rear drain tubes back into the clips and put the headliner back in position and then water tested again. Unfortunately, the leaking still occurred. The dealer then removed the headliner again and found out the drain tubes had popped out of their retaining clips when the headliner was reinstalled. So now the dealer is trying to figure out a way to keep the drain tubes in place while the headliner is pushed back upwards. The carpet, seats and headliner are all out of the vehicle. The wires that run under the carpet were soaked. Fortunately I have not had any electrical issues...yet. The metal floor does not show any signs of rust. The dealer is drying out the wires and the metal floor. Once they figure out how to keep the rear drain tubes in place, they are installing new carpet and a new headliner. Ideally they could zip tie the drain tubes in place to keep them from coming unattached from the retaining clips, but there is not really anything to tie them on to. I have been told that this issue has been ongoing since 2005 and affects a lot of LR3s and LR4s. Both the dealer and Jaguar Land Rover North America have been pleasant to deal with on this issue. Hopefully they can come up with a solution to keep this from recurring as otherwise I really like this vehicle.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tell LR to blow you. They've known of this issues since early 2005 when the first LR3s hit the market. It was a big issue back then. Most of the early vehicles had a LOT of leaking. The techs know about it, the dealers know about it, LR knows about it. Just tell them to cut the charade and fix it.

Michael99b

Reaction score
Well I'm not sure blowing me will help matters, but it certainly can't hurt...although that service guy is really not my type. The dealer is still trying to fix it...this is their third attempt, and if it is not fixed then my car is a "Lemon" as defined by my state and I will file the application for settlement. So yes I am holding their feet to the fire and expect this issue to finally be fixed. If anyone has had this issue recently, and knows of a way to secure the rear drain tubes to keep them from popping up, please let me know. Thanks.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that issue will qualify for a lemon law replacement, and you'll have a hell of a time litigating it. Good luck. It's a pain in the ass when they know the problem, know the fix and just are too lazy to do it properly.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Well I'm not sure blowing me will help matters, but it certainly can't hurt...although that service guy is really not my type. The dealer is still trying to fix it...this is their third attempt, and if it is not fixed then my car is a "Lemon" as defined by my state and I will file the application for settlement. So yes I am holding their feet to the fire and expect this issue to finally be fixed. If anyone has had this issue recently, and knows of a way to secure the rear drain tubes to keep them from popping up, please let me know. Thanks.

I have a 2011 LR4 that developed the same problem a few months after delivery. The sunroof drain hoses were not routed correctly. Your description of the hoses being routed higher than they should be, thus allowing the water to seek the first escape route it can find, is exactly how the problem was explained to me by the dealer. For me, that was into the headliner. After it rained it seemed like high tide up there. The water was leaking out of the dome light. Nice job LR. I agree with the comment that this problem will not fall under the lemon law, since it has to be a substantial problem, like one that leaves you on the side of the road, or is a safety issue. I would absolutely articulate that you are highly allergic to mold, which is a health issue. Talk it over with your lemon law attorney.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do the sunroof drains exit the vehicle? Our 2010 had went carpet behind the drivers seat once but no sign of how it got there. Id like to test my drains to see if they flow.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Where do the sunroof drains exit the vehicle? Our 2010 had went carpet behind the drivers seat once but no sign of how it got there. Id like to test my drains to see if they flow.

At least one or two of them drain down the front pillar posts adjacent to the windshield. I don't know how many in total there are or where they drain. The only way to see is to remove the headliner, or get ahold of a shop manual. Once the water ends up where it shouldn't be, it could feasibly drain anywhere, meaning if there's a problematic drain tube at the front of the vehicle, the water could travel along the headliner and drain anywhere, including the rear of the vehicle.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if the sunroof does leak doesnt the headliner usually show signs of water staining?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV