Newbie Question re Heavy Duty Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badgerbimmer

Reaction score
HI all Newbie here. I have been looking at trading my Rubican for an LR4. I was certain that I would want the "Heavy Duty" package. A sales person at a dealership just told me something that confused the issue a bit for me. Wanted to run this by yawl to check it out. This is what he said "The 2012 & 2013 LR4s have a 2 speed transfer case, the HD package gave you a locking diff. The 2014 & 2015s did not have a 2 speed transfer case unless you order the HD package, which gives you the 2 speed transfer case and the locking rear diff".

Is this correct? Thanks!

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct. the switch-over occurred for model year 14.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI all Newbie here. I have been looking at trading my Rubican for an LR4. I was certain that I would want the "Heavy Duty" package. A sales person at a dealership just told me something that confused the issue a bit for me. Wanted to run this by yawl to check it out. This is what he said "The 2012 & 2013 LR4s have a 2 speed transfer case, the HD package gave you a locking diff. The 2014 & 2015s did not have a 2 speed transfer case unless you order the HD package, which gives you the 2 speed transfer case and the locking rear diff".

Is this correct? Thanks!

This is correct. Key item being the full size spare tire. If you check under the back of the vehicle and it has a steel wheel then it does not have the HD Package. Or if you look at the 4x4 settings on the infotainment and only see a single lock in the middle.

Motor Trend has a great site for these kind of historic items.
2012 Land Rover LR4 Packages

badgerbimmer

Reaction score
the '12s i am looking at don't have the HD package. What I didn't realize was that before '14 the LR4 HSE had the 2 speed transfer case as standard equipment. Thus pre '14 not having the HD package is not as big of a detriment for off road us as I thought. I can easily buy a full sized spare.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the '12s i am looking at don't have the HD package. What I didn't realize was that before '14 the LR4 HSE had the 2 speed transfer case as standard equipment. Thus pre '14 not having the HD package is not as big of a detriment for off road us as I thought. I can easily buy a full sized spare.

For the most part. As long as you don't want that rear locker the spare is the easy part.

badgerbimmer

Reaction score
i just looked at the link you were kind enough to put in your first post and see that the HSE package has a rear locking differential. The difference being an "active" differential. I think I can live with that. Thank you.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is correct. Key item being the full size spare tire. If you check under the back of the vehicle and it has a steel wheel then it does not have the HD Package. Or if you look at the 4x4 settings on the infotainment and only see a single lock in the middle.

Motor Trend has a great site for these kind of historic items.
2012 Land Rover LR4 Packages

Thanks for that link, That is really cool.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link, That is really cool.

No problem. Best thing I have found when looking at used vehicles and trying to figure out the options packages. PDF's from the model years are not always the quickest things to find the details in if you can find them at all.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i just looked at the link you were kind enough to put in your first post and see that the HSE package has a rear locking differential. The difference being an "active" differential. I think I can live with that. Thank you.

Just to make sure we are clear here, the pre-2014 models had a 2 speed transfer case as standard, yes.. BUT... without the HD pack there is only a center locking diff. The HD pack adds a second rear locking diff as well as full sized spare. That second rear locking diff in the HD pack is what you want for off-road use!!

The HD Pack has nothing to do with vehicle model (HS, HSE, Lux). HD is not included as standard at any vehicle trim level. It must be selected as an option.

Last edited:

badgerbimmer

Reaction score
The Motor Trend site lists the following as included in the 2012 HSE package HSE Package - $4,225
Internal HD navigation system; HSE exterior badge; Front and rear alloy wheels: 19"x; LED Signature Lighting; Voice activating system for radio, phone and navigation system; Audio system with digital radio , digital radio and satellite radio; USB input jacks; "Rear differential lock"; MP3 player; Smart card/smart key; includes keyless entry ; includes keyless starter; Electric foldable mirrors; Park Distance Control (PDC) front radar parking distance sensors, parking Aid rear cam&radar parking distance sensors; Bluetooth includes phone; Internal HD; Includes: [RSC] 7 Seat Comfort Package And [CCP] Climate Comfort Package; Excludes: [DAS] Sirius Satellite Radio and HD Radio And [BLW] 20" 5 Spoke Gloss Black Alloy Wheel.

HD package is "Rear active differential"; Space-saver spare tire with alloy rim.

The difference appears to be an "Rear active diff" versus a locking diff. Most 4x4s (my Rubicon as an example) simply have locking diffs, which works pretty well. Granted the "active diff" is likely an improvement but a 2012 without the HD package would appear to be significantly more off road capable than a '14 or '15 without the HD package.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72