Price of a replacement key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I tried to get the key from the folks in Utah, they informed me that a key has three components and they only sell 1 one of them. There is the remote unit, the key, and the pin that holds the key to the remote, I was confused and wondered whether a dealer would only supply a Key and Pin as opposed to the full unit?

I am deeply confused beasue I thought this came with an uncut key, comments?

Trynian

Reaction score
Hi, I tried to get the key from the folks in Utah, they informed me that a key has three components and they only sell 1 one of them. There is the remote unit, the key, and the pin that holds the key to the remote, I was confused and wondered whether a dealer would only supply a Key and Pin as opposed to the full unit?

I am deeply confused beasue I thought this came with an uncut key, comments?

What year is your LR3? If it is 05-07, there are 3 parts. I am assuming it is so you could change out the remote only if needed, or the key portion if needed.

I think in 08 they came out with a remot that plugged into a slot and then push to start button.

If you have the less then 08 and are missing the entire key fob then you need all 3 parts.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called one of the recommended suppliers who stated that they only sell the remote but not the key :mad: The gentleman said that they remote key is made up of three components, the remote unit, the key, and the pin the holds the key to the remote. He advised me to call the dealer to see if they sold the key.

This is the very first time I ever heard of such an arrangement given that all remotes that I had ever purchased came with an uncut key . . . .

Any one had a similar experience, why would a dealer sell you the key on its own without the remot unit?

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just confirmed that the dealer can indeed order just the metal part of the remote unit (where the key is cut), that was new to me. Now we know once can save a lot of money by doing the research beforehand.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
Just confirmed that the dealer can order just the metal part of the remote unit (where the key is cut), that was new to me. Now we know once can save a lot of money by doing the research beforehand.

Thanks.

So you don't need the remote, only the key part?

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the dealer, you only need the metal key part, which comes with the pin. I went ahead and bought the whole unit from the dealer at $354, which the previous owner had agreed to gracioulsy pay for because the deal almost fell through since they had lost their spare key.

I now know better and will order another remote from British Parts of Utah just to be on the safe side and save a few hundred bucks.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer quoted me $300 even for all 3 parts and install yesterday.

Russellr

Reaction score
From the dealer, you only need the metal key part, which comes with the pin. I went ahead and bought the whole unit from the dealer at $354, which the previous owner had agreed to gracioulsy pay for because the deal almost fell through since they had lost their spare key.

I now know better and will order another remote from British Parts of Utah just to be on the safe side and save a few hundred bucks.

So, assuming do this, how do I get it programmed and set up?

Thanks

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, only the dealer is able to do this for you. They did for free because I had purchased the key from them. I only bought from them because the owner had committed to supplying me with a second key, in which case I did not bother saving any money :bandit:

lennysmith

Reaction score
Hey here's a little info for you, I called the Elgin Locksmith here and asked about adding remote start to my truck. This Mopar kit is 199 and comes with two new replacement keys, that's key and fob assembly. You'd be better off adding remote start and getting two more keys, and was told if done correctly your old key will still work also.Really awesome service.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA