2005 front fuel sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

holdgate04

Reaction score
I have dropped the tank with the intention of changing out the sending units. Unfortunately the front unit is blocked by a baffle. I have no idea how to reach...thoughts?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should not be blocked, but it can be almost impossible to reach, I personally cannot repalce the front one, my arm does not fit.

Attachments

• FuelTank2.jpg
    FuelTank2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 478
  • FuelTank1.jpg
    FuelTank1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 462
  • FuelTank.jpg
    FuelTank.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 184

hakes4x4

Reaction score
Were you succesful?
Curious thought could one splice so the Cluster recieved the signal from the front sending unit sent from the rear. So that instead of replacing the entire fuel tank if you cant reach the front unit the rear could be the only source of signal.
Sure your accuracy and gauge will move more with angle changes but its better than having no fuel level indicated at all.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could splice them together, however it will not be accurate, more so when the tank is low. The senders do not read the same voltage at the same level, so even on empty, it would still show you had some fuel in the tank.

Attachments

• Fuel Guage and Senders_Page_2.jpg
    Fuel Guage and Senders_Page_2.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 64

Trynian

Reaction score
You have to pull the feul pump out. Then reach to the way outer left side of the internal infrastructure dropping your elbow all the way into the tank. I have pulled mine several times. Grab the white T bracket and lift out and it will slide out off the track.

Reaction score
No Fricken Way!!!

I just pulled my fuel tank and got the rear sender off the fuel pump. There is absolutely no way to reach the front sender. The pictures posted above show the baffle assembly but that is put in the bottom of the tank and then the top of the tank is glued to the bottom at the factory. When you buy a new tank it comes with the baffles and the front sender installed. If your arm is small enough to reach past the baffle on the left side of the tank you wont have a long enough arm to reach the sender. I call baloney on anyone that claims to have replaced their front sender.

Trynian

Reaction score
I just pulled my fuel tank and got the rear sender off the fuel pump. There is absolutely no way to reach the front sender. The pictures posted above show the baffle assembly but that is put in the bottom of the tank and then the top of the tank is glued to the bottom at the factory. When you buy a new tank it comes with the baffles and the front sender installed. If your arm is small enough to reach past the baffle on the left side of the tank you wont have a long enough arm to reach the sender. I call baloney on anyone that claims to have replaced their front sender.

Call it all you want, I have done it several times. I am 6'2 Slender built. My forearm is 19.5 inches long from elbow to finger tip.

You have to make sure all is clear on the left side (lines etc) and work your hand down the side and pop your elbow down into the hole, having better then average flexibility helps. It can smart a little when you pop your elbow in, but just a minor scraping on the back of my arm.You don't have to reach the sender just the T-Arm extension that you lift to slide it back off the track.

Even showed my indie shop how to do it on one they had in for service.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Time for a YouTube How To

The next time you have the opportunity to work on a tank get someone to get a video of the extraction and more importantly the insertion of the new front sender. Which arm did you use to access the front sender? Was the tank on the ground or standing up with the filler tube on the ground. I never did try my left arm so that the baffle would be touching my inner elbow. Was that your trick?

Reaction score
Diagnosis Procedure For Senders

Once you get the damn senders out, which is a PITA, how does one test them using a volt meter to determine which one to replace? FOUND SEVERAL EXCELLENT YOUTUBE SOURCES FOR THIS QUESTION.

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
The next time you have the opportunity to work on a tank get someone to get a video of the extraction and more importantly the insertion of the new front sender. Which arm did you use to access the front sender? Was the tank on the ground or standing up with the filler tube on the ground. I never did try my left arm so that the baffle would be touching my inner elbow. Was that your trick?

I used my left arm, going forward from back to front with the tank on the ground. looking down from the top into the fuel pump access hole you just feel down to the left sliding down the left hand side wall of the tank.

The insertion is not to hard either, you toss the sender down in to the tank on the left side and then put your arm in an pick it up, you can feel the track it goes on to.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV