1995 NAS Disco I code 44 fault question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kboyd

Reaction score
59K original miles. troubleshot a fuel pump power problem and got that solved (inertial cut off switch connector) but i ended up with CEL and fault code 44 thereafter. should i swap left and right bank O2 sensors first (and see if the fault code moves to 45) or just bite the bullet and get new O2 sensors? i have all new distributor, wires, plugs, coil, MAF, amplifier and she runs well except i cant clear this code and I suspect i could have induced a wiring fault in jacking with fuel pump relay / ECU / etc.. is there a way to monitor / check O2 before buying new ones?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First don't swap the O2's replace both front and clear your codes. Your O2's are 19/20 years old and even with so little mileage, this would be best and make sure to replace them both, using convental not universal O2's.
As for all those new parts, keep them, don't start throw them at your truck for now, as has been said, forever, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
How long have you had this Disco, have you done any of the major services such as wheel bearings, swivel balls and up graded to all of the newer and better fluids for the diffs, t/case and tranny?

Kboyd

Reaction score
Hi Mike, i appreciate your quick response. First off , i had already replaced everything above while trying to TS the engine shut off problem but I do know too well the adage dont fix if it aint broke. unfortunately, i am not really experienced so i just read forums and tried things in hopes it would work.

I inherited this truck from my father who passed and had issues with it and left it parked inside the garage. I took out gas tank and had it cleaned, radiator and had it cored, heads and had them resurfaced (it already had a broke lifter at 50K!). i replaced water pump, fan, hoses, main belt and all the fluids - trans, diff, etx. and regreased bearings. the interior is cherry. i had to weld the running board on driver side because it literally broke off - cheap POS. brush guard is ridiculous but tackle that later.

on the code 44, i have already tried a new O2 sensor on the left bank and no joy. i have adjusted air gap, replaced MAF and have all new distributor / wires / plugs. i can only think of a wiring problem at this point or the ECU itself, god forbid. I am debating trying to read the sensor reading at the ECU plug for the 0-1 V signal to isolate the problem but really dont know what the next best course of action is. i would like it to pass emissions test so i dont have to buy a sticker and not lose mpg or carbon up my engine. if you have any pearls of wisdom here, that would help a lot.

Kboyd

Reaction score
Update to my post on fault code 44 1995 NAS Disco I

found a really good link on Lucas 14CUX fuel injection system which helped me T/S this fault after initially changing out the O2 sensor without getting rid of the fault. Turns out my engine coolant sensor was bad (reading infinite ohms) and this sensor plays a big part in the mapping of air/fuel at idlle: link for troubleshooting this system which is <=1995 Discovery is here:

http://www.actproducts.co.uk/2011/l...n-system-–-installation-and-diagnostic-notes/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut