LR4 Wheels/Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 LR4 on order.
I'm considering some custom wheels (20"), but I don't care for the 20" optional wheels from LR.
I found some I like at a fairly reasonable price ($699 + shipping for 4 20x9.5" European wheels). Of course, I'd have to add tires and pressure sensors. So, all in all, I'm looking at maybe $1700 total.
The recommended tires are size 255/50/20. Online prices look like $150-$250 each.

So, my questions are:
Even though the supplier says they will fit the LR4, do I have to worry about 'Offset' or other wheel parameters? e.g. quality, balance, etc.
Will 20" wheels keep me from going off road? (I'm mostly interested in light off roading; forest roads and the like...).
Any recommendations for 'all season' tires in this size?

Will I be significantly changing the handling characteristics of the LR4?

Lastly, am I stuck with trying to sell the stock wheels/tires I get with the LR4; or are there other options?

Thx

Last edited:

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running 20" Redbourne Dukes with 275/55/20 Cooper LTZ tires on my 2011 LR4 for two years. I'm sure an 18" solution would be optimal for a lot of off road, but I've done my share and the LTZ's are just fine.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure these are 20" Redbourne wheels....Nitto Terra Grapplers

Attachments

• lr4.jpg
    lr4.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 176
  • lr42.jpg
    lr42.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 143

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, and the photos, guys.
I think the Redbourne's are 9.5" width (like the wheels I'm considering).
Can I put 255mm wide tires on a 9.5" rim, or do I have to go with the wider 275's?

Last edited:

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I put 255mm wide tires on a 9.5" rim. (Do I even want to?); or do I have to go with the wider 275's?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The photo above is bound to rub at most turning situations, worse on low while in parking garages and worse yet in any situation where there is wheel articulation. You can see by the photo the offset will cause the rubbing when turned much either direction.

It looks cool for sure, but it is essentially a very poor choice.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was wondering about that. That's why I asked if I could put 255mm tires on a 9.5" rim....instead of 275s.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I put 255mm wide tires on a 9.5" rim. (Do I even want to?); or do I have to go with the wider 275's?

I tried this with my first lr3 using factory 20" with I think 285/50, Toyo Proxes ST.

Personally, I think that putting an aggressive AT like the Terra Grappler or similar on a 20" with the tiny side wall allowable on the LR3/4, is completely ridiculous. Either go with much, much better handling tire such as the one I used, OR stick with 19" or 18" and more robust off road tire.

The guy above with 275/55x20 is probably getting about the most you can in sidewall without rubbing if the offset tucks the wheel in where it should be for optimal clearance.

Most people don't realize at first that an offset putting the wheel out flush with fender arch actually reduces the tire size usable without rubbing. My calculations and experience show that a stock ride height LR3/4 with the 31.9" 275/55x20 will in fact rub at the rear inner fender liner upon compression against the "bump" in the fender liner (on left rear wheel it's the bump at "9 o'clock") A good highway dip at speed will make a scrubbing sound and off road of course will do it under compression.

$700/4 wheels sounds great at first but I would be curious to know how well made they are.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was wondering about that. That's why I asked if I could put 255mm tires on a 9.5" rim....instead of 275s.

Tire rack is a good resource for the rim width range of any given tire size. 255 is really more ideal on a 8" wide rim. It's also all about the proportion. For example, a 275/70x18 is actually nearly perfect square fit on an 8". Whereas 275/45x18 would be an unstable combination on just 8" width.

I am using 275/65x18 (Michelin LTX Winter E load range) and have used 265/65x18 for many years (BFG All Terrain TA KO, also E load of course). I have also made physical modifications to allow for the 32" and possibly will go further to allow the 33" 275/70x18".

Enviously, a stock Land Cruiser off the lot can allow a 33" without any issues at all even in full off road articulations.

Then there is the Mercedes G wagen which still allows for huge widths and diameters like the Discovery 2 allowed.

Anyway, I'm getting two of my 18" sets powder coated black this week :biggrin:

The old 20" set up provided really awesome highway handling:

lr3-ReachDam.trail.front.2.htm

*photo insert didn't work, see link below*
I think this one was one size down from 285/50x20 so it was probably 275/45x20 which is basically a stock set up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut