bluetooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThinkDima

Reaction score
Hi,

wanted to get an opinion on installing bluetooth in 2006 SE.

i found that VUB501152 and LR006279 are needed (i don't have the buttons on the steering wheel) but that information is somewhat dated. i was wondering if there's a more recent information available? or what do people recommend these days? i'd like a hands free solution using the factory stereo that works well with new iphones if possible?

Also, i couldn't find any information on how those kits are installed. not a single one on youtube about VUB501152.

Any information would be appreciated, Thanks for the help!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phone Bluetooth

The install is not what I would call easy, particularly if you do not already have the two flipper buttons on the right side of the steering wheel.

Below is a link to my gallery with some files related to my upgrade from the non MOST 0000 pairing setup of my 2005 LR3 to a 2121 pairing using a D4 MOST module. What I will say is that my BlackBerry 9900 works really well with the D4 MOST module.

http://www.bit.ly/1naq2yE

wheeler

Reaction score
Hi, TD. Couple questions about your goals. Adding Bluetooth might allow you to pair your iPhone for handsfree telephone calls but possibly not music streaming, not sure. My '07 LR3 HSE included factory Bluetooth v.3.x but in that era did not include music streaming. Does your vehicle sound system have an Auxiliary audio input stereo mini jack?

I think you know about the Kinivo BTC-450 Bluetooth hands-free kit. In addition to the music streaming you probably know that device has an integrated microphone for hands-free telephone calls.

I tried both the LAND ROVER Bluetooth v.3.x connection and the Kinivo BTC-450 as the microphone source for phone calls and my callers characterized the sound quality of my voice between the two as comparable. Comparably mediocre.

(I recently installed Wiggins' Bluetooth Exchange BT3 to BT4 upgrade module and my callers have definitely commented on improved voice quality.)

Using LAND ROVER Bluetooth for telephone calls and Kinivo BTC-450 for music streaming simultaneously is problematic, as has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, possibly related to the iPhone's challenges with pairing to multiple Bluetooth targets simultaneously.

Finally, I'm considering leaving Bluetooth v.4.x entirely for phone calls and moving to AirPlay for lossless music streaming... I'm looking at the AirEnabler Adapter Kit if I just want to do audio.

I'm not sure if the LR3 SE has the factory navigation screen. I'm considering having the NAV-TV GVIF-RR installed (to get a backup camera on factory nav) and installing a Kivic One AirPlay adapter into one of the additional video inputs in order to get audio and video streaming/ mirroring.

Keep us posted what you decide to do.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally, I'm considering leaving Bluetooth v.4.x entirely for phone calls and moving to AirPlay for lossless music streaming...

Wheeler, this AirPlay solution looks awesome. Not because I have a problem with the audio quality of the Kinivo (I have been an advocate of it on this forum), but because the LR's onboard phone has a few advantages such as displaying caller ID info.

I am reading the reviews on it right now. If it truly allows for seamless switching between music and incoming/outgoing calls and plays well with the LR's onboard BT, I may just give it a try. Price looks reasonable, too. Thanks for the heads up! :creep: <-- that's supposed to be a celebratory moondance.

Chris

PS: If this works out I may have a very gently used Kinivo to offer for sale...even comes with a spare adhesive patch for dash install...

vince217

Reaction score
does the Kinivo and the Air Enabler eliminate the low volume problem that I keep reading about when connecting an MP3 player directly to the 3.4mm port?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the Kinivo and the Air Enabler eliminate the low volume problem that I keep reading about when connecting an MP3 player directly to the 3.4mm port?

Speaking from my own experience, I never had a low volume issue with the Kinivo. I did a quick and simple out-of-the-box install in my '11 LR4 and it has been working great since Day One.

ThinkDima

Reaction score
Keep us posted what you decide to do.

Hello,
i haven't made my decision as of yet. but i'll answer a couple of your questions.
MY LR3 does have the aux port in the back. it does not have the nav screen or any bluetooth and backup camera wasn't even available as an option for that year. So i decided to try garmin with wireless backup cam, bluetooth and nav. you can see it here. The screen is a bit bigger then the opening, and i haven't mounted it yet, so there's no pictures of that. as soon as i install it - i'll update that post. the bluetooth on this unit as not really that good.

what i was looking for is just a simple bluetooth functionality with steering wheel button controls (not as important), audio through car speakers and good quality. music streaming is not that important, phonebook showing up is not on top of my list either, just simple, reliable bluetooth. That's why i was asking about the Wiggins' BT4 unit.

i'm checking out everything else mentioned here and will see what/if i'll get for the bluetooth.

PS: Quick question: does the Wiggins BT4 unit needs dealer activation, or it's plug'n'play?

Thanks

wheeler

Reaction score
PS: Quick question: does the Wiggins BT4 unit needs dealer activation, or it's plug'n'play?

I believe the thread link below is the exhaustive BT4 kit reference and your answer may lie there.

http://bit.ly/1wqwyDN

I may be mistaken but a key question regarding the compatibility of the Wiggins kit is which pairing code your vehicle uses to sync to BT... it needs to be 2121, etc. So I'm not sure that just adding that BT4 kit alone would really result in bringing standalone Bluetooth functionality to your vehicle.

ThinkDima, your particular needs look like they would be well served by the Kinivo BTC-450. Maybe you could buy Chris P's when he moves to AirPlay? :hello:

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ThinkDima, your particular needs look like they would be well served by the Kinivo BTC-450. Maybe you could buy Chris P's when he moves to AirPlay? :hello:

Ha, it may yet become available but as picky as this sounds, I'm not loving the bootup delay with the AirEnabler device nor the workarounds. So I may stick with the Kinivo which has become very natural to use.

The one compromise ThinkDima would have with the Kinivo is lack of steering wheel controls. Otherwise it would provide great phone BT with the bonus of music streaming.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CCF file must be modified also.

What i was looking for is just a simple bluetooth functionality with steering wheel button controls (not as important), audio through car speakers and good quality. music streaming is not that important, phonebook showing up is not on top of my list either, just simple, reliable bluetooth. That's why i was asking about the Wiggins' BT4 unit.

I'm checking out everything else mentioned here and will see what/if i'll get for the bluetooth.

PS: Quick question: does the Wiggins BT4 unit needs dealer activation, or it's plug'n'play?Thanks
A short answer is that the Wiggs D4 kit is not plug and play - at least it was not for me but in newer 3s' that already have the 2121 pairing, the kit is almost plug and play.

Re your 3, do you have a flipper on the left side of the steering wheel? If so, that suggests you have a mike installed to operate the existing radio voice tuning. If no flipper, then there is no mike already within your 3 and the kit does not include a mike.

If you have the single left side flipper, then the work consists of connecting a MOST cable to the MOST system and running power to the new module. I guess if you already have the mike, then there must be a module somewhere to remove or disconnect as well but am but not certain.

You will also have to modify the Car Configuration File (CCF) to tell your 3 that you now have Bluetooth. For that you need something like a Faultmate or a shop that has experience with making changes to the CCF file. In the UK there are a lot of people who can do that but for the rest of world, that is not so common.

I had to modify the CCF file even though I already had Bluetooth but that was because I originally had the early Land Rover 0000 non MOST module pairing setup.

In other words, the suggestions of the above post may be your best option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA