2004 DII Will not Start. Problem after Timing-Chain-Cover Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THATE30GUY

Reaction score
Hello -
Looking for some help with a 2004 Discovery 2 that will not start.

I had a broken timing chain cover seal, and decided to take on the challenge at home. Went through the whole exercise, and while I was in there replaced the Oil Pump Gears and Timing Chain Trio. After re-assembly, I put oil in the motor and turned the motor on. It ran (very roughly) for about 15/20 seconds, and then the motor shut off.
Since then, the motor will turn over- But it will not run.

Since then, here is what i have done:
I pushed the top of the Inertia switch down. (Did not click)

I checked the fuel pump (and replaced with a used one). Even the new fuel pump does not seem to be running (there is no real sound coming from it when the key is turned). That being said, there is some pressure in the line. After turning the engine over a few times, I pulled the fuel line and got a surprise.

Checked fuel relays and fuses. All looked good.

Checked for spark. Sounds like i may have done this wrong. I pulled a plug and watched for a spark. There is spark (which makes me think this is not a CPS issue). But I'm not sure if i messed something else up by turning the engine without a plug in the hole.

Also shot some carb cleaner in the intake while cranking. I took the elbow off of the intake manifold and sprayed while the motor turned over. This caused a "POP" and the carb mist to ignite at the intake.

From here I am completely lost. I do not have a code reader, but am thinking that I might need to buy one.
It seems like there is an issue with fuel delivery, but being new to the Disco I am not sure how to test it. A part of me is afraid that the timing is off, but i was very careful to follow the instructions in the manual (line up the dots, remove the old, install the new and make sure the new dots align).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on? Could the CPS be bad but still have spark at the plug?

Thanks in advance for any help.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to state the obvious, but did you put the timing chain back on correctly? If you started it and it was not timed correctly you may have done some major damage.

THATE30GUY

Reaction score
Not to state the obvious, but did you put the timing chain back on correctly? If you started it and it was not timed correctly you may have done some major damage.
Hey Joey,
I am 99% sure it was right. I read and re-read the instructions to make sure.
Are there any elements not captured in the RAVE manual?
I rotated the crank until the dots were at 6 and 12 (one on top of the other), removed the old gears and chains, set the new gears and chain in and aligned the dots in the same way, made sure the gears set down completely on the keys, then torqued the bolt on the top gear.
Are there other steps that I might have missed?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got it correct. I just had to ask.

As long as nothing moved when you took things apart, it just sounds like it was out of time.

THATE30GUY

Reaction score
Update:
Borrowed a code reader and there are no codes showing.
However, when I use the erase function, the truck will fire for a moment (maybe 1-2 seconds) but then shuts right back off. I can crank the motor over, but it will not fire at this stage. If I erase again, it will fire, run for 1-2 seconds, and then shut off.

No codes at any time during this process.

Are there any thoughts on this?
If the only real possibility is being out of time, is there a way to test for this?

Also, if it is the timing, how would one get the truck back in time? Any good YouTube videos?

Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in response I have been out of town on work with limited internet.

Sounds like it is out of time and going into safe mode. Not sure how to fix this myself. It could be something simple like a plug not seated correctly as well but I am not sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV