2010 LR4 Tire Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btmalone

Reaction score
Hello - I just changed had my first tire change for my 2010 LR4. The original tires were Continental - but I went, at the recommendation of Mavis Tire in Riverside, CT, with Pirelli Scorpion Verde - Extra Load tires. Since the installation of the new tires, I'm getting a vibration in the steering wheel that wasn't there prior to the change. I seem to notice it between 40-70 MPH the most. I brought it back for Mavis to re-balance - but that made no difference. Wondering if these just aren't good tires for the LR4? Maybe there are some Land Rover-specific adjustments that the Mavis tire people aren't aware of? Any suggestions?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello - I just changed had my first tire change for my 2010 LR4. The original tires were Continental - but I went, at the recommendation of Mavis Tire in Riverside, CT, with Pirelli Scorpion Verde - Extra Load tires. Since the installation of the new tires, I'm getting a vibration in the steering wheel that wasn't there prior to the change. I seem to notice it between 40-70 MPH the most. I brought it back for Mavis to re-balance - but that made no difference. Wondering if these just aren't good tires for the LR4? Maybe there are some Land Rover-specific adjustments that the Mavis tire people aren't aware of? Any suggestions?

There are no specific adjustment for LR.
Poorly balanced wheels will usually shake around 60mph.
You might want to make sure that their equipment is correctly calibrated.
It happened to me recently and it turned out that the balancing machine was not calibrated properly. Once they recalibrated their equipment and balanced my wheels once again everything turned out ok (no more vibration).
This could be your issue...

btmalone

Reaction score
Thank, AxelR - will do. And to your knowledge, there should be no issues with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Extra Load tires?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only read good things about them from the few members who have them.
I run slightly larger AT tires.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It helps if the tire shop uses Hunter Road Force speed balancers to computer balance your new tires. They are mandatory equipment at Land Rover dealers, and the only machines that have always calibrated my wheels and tires to perfection. Hunter Engineering has an online database of shops that use such machines.

Trekker

Reaction score
I just noticed this problem on my 2011 LR4. I get steering wheel vibrations at around 70 MPH. I have an appointment with the Land Rover dealer in 2 days and I will post an update to what they find. I checked and they do have a Road Force Touch tire balancing machine. I recently bought my LR4 used and I was a little concerned by the tires. They are Toyo Open Country H/T 255/55R19. The tires are only rated for 2403lbs single load, which seems a little light for the LR4.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the car was in storage for a while and you just recently purchased it, it could just be that the tires are flatspotting, which would be conceivable especially if your LR4 came with passenger, rather than XLor LT, load rating tires. Flatspotting normally - but not always - resolves itself after you drive around for a few days.

Trekker

Reaction score
If the car was in storage for a while and you just recently purchased it, it could just be that the tires are flatspotting, which would be conceivable especially if your LR4 came with passenger, rather than XLor LT, load rating tires. Flatspotting normally - but not always - resolves itself after you drive around for a few days.

Turns out that was the case. My LR dealer did a 60,000 mile service and force balanced the tires. That seems to have solved my problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72