Kaymar Bumper Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Kaymar rear bumper today and I'm already getting anxious about installing it. Someone mentioned that I should order a Set of Range Rover rear mudflaps to close the gap at the rear wheels. I guess that in Australia, all D4s come with flaps and thus it's not a problem. Does anyone know anything about this? Attached is a picture of the gap on another LR4. Not mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 145

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man! Take plenty of pics. I want to see how you go it and how well it blends into the rear 1/4 panels.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure will. Not sure when it will be here or when I'll have time to install, but I'll try to write it up.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure will. Not sure when it will be here or when I'll have time to install, but I'll try to write it up.
Hey Kevin,

Awesome - please keep us posted! You will have a lot of eager people waiting to hear/read about your experience with the installation, etc.

How much was it? I'm excited for you!

-David

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kaymar - Outback Proven

Ok fellas, here's the latest update. I was going to wait, but I just had to chime in a little early to let you guys know about service.

So I called Ben over at Outback Proven to ask him questions about the Kaymar. He answered each and every question, sent me installation information, as well as a few photos. Through all my questions, Ben really stayed patient and seemed more like an old friend than a sales guy. The next day, I called him and ordered a Kaymar rear bumper with the right side tire carrier. This was a tuesday morning. He shipped it out that afternoon and I received it on Friday. Box was ontime and perfect. could have been filled with crystal.

The following week, I opened the box to shake everything out, and discovered that I received the rear bar and the Left side tire carrier. I thought about this a day or so and called ben to figure out what could be done. Ben, as usual, was pleasant and without hesitation offered to send me the Right side kit immediately. I told him to hold on and let me do a little investigation and that I would get back to him.

So I set out to truly understand the pros and cons of left vs. right, and I'll tell you what I found here. First off, its amazing how resolute people are in their opinions. For the few I reached out to, they definitely had an opinion. I wrote Scott Brady over at Expedition Portal who just built an awesome LR4, I discussed this with Ben Meddows at Outback, and George “HikeNBike” about his rig. Here’s what I found concerning the L/R decision on an NAS model. Right drive is another story.

Left (Driver’s Side)
- Keeps the Rear Glass Dip open for looking over your shoulder
- Requires relocating your license plate (kit by Kaymar)
- Requires relocating the back-up camera (no available kit)
- Theory, if opening on roadside, tire opens to traffic.

Right (Passenger’s Side)
- Block’s lower glass dip
- Allows use of existing license Plate
- Allows use of Back-up camera

This is all I can remember, but the camera was the clincher for me. I can do a lot, but custom fabrication is beyond my ability. I finalized on my original decision to go with the right side so knowing that Ben was in AZ at the overland Expo, I sent him an email to let him know that I wanted to go with the Right. Tonight, again without delay, Ben sent me an email to let me know that he has already sent out the right side carrier via fedex and stated that once I finish my install, just send him back all of the extra parts. No BS, just service.

So, naturally I’m kind of an A$$h01e so for me to sing praises is rare. No mater what I need in the future, I’ll check outback proven first. Ben is a good guy with a good business. He has the same passions and enthusiasm as the rest of us and he’ll get my future business.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Kaymar Update

As for the install; not yet. I have a couple of busy weekends coming up and a bunch of plans for the LR4. I’ll write up the install and keep you guys up to date.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent info! It definitely help knowing reputable firms out there. And it's also nice to know I'm not the only ***** on the forums ;)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the install; not yet. I have a couple of busy weekends coming up and a bunch of plans for the LR4. I’ll write up the install and keep you guys up to date.
This is an AWESOME post - thank you for the thorough review and information. I am saving this post because I would like to go in this direction with my new LR4. I was really struggling to figure out if i should do left side or right side and was leaning toward right side. I can live with some rear window obstruction, but I definitely don't want to have to move the rear camera or sensors.

Overall, does it seem like the install is going to be really tough (based on the instructions he sent you)?

Thanks!

-David

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it doesn't appear tough at all, but I'm planning a full day for it. Probably wont take all day, but I'm a planner. I was going to wait until until the install, but the Kaymar has a few caveates that you should know. First, whether right or left, the tire will cover your tail light. Kaymar includes new tail lights on the bumper to fix this, but a few folks have taken the carrier bracket and had it extended 4-6" moving the tire closer to the center. This will prevent you from being able to add a second tire on the other side, but its what I'm planning to do. Second, its made in australia, and from what I understand, the aussie D4 comes with mud flaps. Once you put the bumper on, there is a gap at your wheel well that needs closing. Appears the only viable solution is a set of rear mud flaps. I have them in the garage and I'll confirm all of this once I get to the install. I'm hoping to do it around june 1st or 8th. We'll see.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it doesn't appear tough at all, but I'm planning a full day for it. Probably wont take all day, but I'm a planner. I was going to wait until until the install, but the Kaymar has a few caveates that you should know. First, whether right or left, the tire will cover your tail light. Kaymar includes new tail lights on the bumper to fix this, but a few folks have taken the carrier bracket and had it extended 4-6" moving the tire closer to the center. This will prevent you from being able to add a second tire on the other side, but its what I'm planning to do. Second, its made in australia, and from what I understand, the aussie D4 comes with mud flaps. Once you put the bumper on, there is a gap at your wheel well that needs closing. Appears the only viable solution is a set of rear mud flaps. I have them in the garage and I'll confirm all of this once I get to the install. I'm hoping to do it around june 1st or 8th. We'll see.
Thanks for additional information. I think I would definitely move the tire closer to the center since I would only mount one tire. I can't wait to hear more about the install and see the finished results.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA