NAV8 vs SCV6 Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a comparison in towing performance.

+1. Also, the V6 seems to suit most lifestyles a little better. What percentage of our time is spent cruising down the highway with one or two other passengers and no weight towing? The V6 would be more efficient and cost-effective than my V8 (if I approached it in a practical way). I still love my V8 though.

..mg..

Reaction score
I too have been interested in this as an option but have not spent too much time on researching it yet as there are other things I need todo first.

That said. I have seen some Jags with our engine tuned. So it clearly is an option with the engine. I just worry that the LR has so many more electronics if it will cause an issue. Not sure.

Let us know what you find.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a Causeway Grey HSE - all the more reason to see what EM options are available. I'll post up whatever info I come across.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having had the LR4 V8 for many months now, I can tell you that unless you floor it (and even then) the LR4 in D is not really using the engine well at all. I don't mind because it is my "chill" car, but without a doubt, the engine comes alive in S mode. Go figure - the car struggles to get past 2krpm in D mode under normal driving.

I tell people that S mode is the "I'm late" mode. It really make everything better - but uses more fuel and is more on edge. I seldom invoke S mode, because I have other cars to raise my pulse.

Couldn't agree more. The engine feels a different one when in S mode. When I am late to work in the morning I use S mode with nice engine braking as a plus.

One thing I have noticed though is when cruising on the freeway in normal D mode at moderate speeds, if I want to pass a vehicle quickly etc and shift to S mode, the downshift is two extreme (maybe too lower of gear change than really is needed). This is even if I let off the gas before switching to S mode. The RPMs just shoot up to a really high number and feels a bit scary in terms engine wear. A first couple of times it happened I thought there was something wrong with the mapping. My LR3, when switched to S mode in similar conditions, used to downshift nicely (maybe just one gear change) and then I would just step on the gas if I needed further assistance from the transmission.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2) I really didn't feel like the V8 had more power than my SCV6. Navigating city streets or cruising down the highway, there was no significant difference in coming to speed or lane changing in traffic.

As far as performance on the highway, I felt the same when I moved from my LR3 to LR4 V8 a year and a half ago. I was expecting my LR4 V8 to be a lot more responsive with more gut at highway passing, but that wasn't the case. Honestly, I feel that when I stepped on it in my LR3 at highway speeds, it really pulled with power with a feeling of constant increase in speed, so much so that I would have to ease off on the gas to let it up shift again and calm down a bit.

I remember the only one time I felt that the power wasn't enough on the highway (in my LR3) is when this one night I was driving to vegas on 15 and I was climbing up on a slight grade and wanted to go faster than 90 mph so pressed the pedal a bit more to get more speed and was surprised to find out that there was no more room left under the gas pedal. LR3 was struggling a bit go above 90 mph. I could have been on higher elevation stretch at the time. The car wasn't even fully loaded, it was just me and a carry on and bunch of other usual stuff in the car.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5) Really didn't like the gear shift. I know people think the knob in the 2014 is somewhat silly but it really opens up space in the center console area.

Agree with the more room aspect but really, personally I hate that knob. Its not a cadillac. I have driven loaner evoque and Jags with this knob. It just sucks. With the shifter lever, its much easer and quicker to switch to S mode and/or downshift to call in more power. It also feels sportier to do it that way. Also easier to switch back to D quickly.

I also like to rest my hand on the gear shifter while driving.

I guess just a matter of personal taste.

Last edited:

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After having a 2014 for 3 weeks, I love the knob. I really do.

For purposes of comparison, the SCV6 runs at under 2000 rpm (1800-1900 rpm or so) at 65 mph on the highway in D. I will try to notice some other speeds/rpms.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I know this has been a heated debate as to why people have picked a 2013 model before it ended and not sure about the SCV6. Those of us with a 2014 have probably never had a chance to even drive an LR4 with the NAV8.

Last week I was able to have a 2011 LR4 loaner vehicle while my 2014 was in the shop. This gave me an opportunity to check out the 5.0 V8 in the previous models. I had the vehicle for 24 hours so I was able to really compare it to my daily routine in comparison to my SCV6 performance.

Couple Thoughts - Good and Bad:
1) While I will say, the NAV8 sounds amazing in comparison to the SCV6's Supercharger whine, I wasn't overly impressed.
2) I really didn't feel like the V8 had more power than my SCV6. Navigating city streets or cruising down the highway, there was no significant difference in coming to speed or lane changing in traffic.
3) There was a noticeable difference between a NA engine and a FI engine in terms of throttle response. You have to approach the gas pedal differently.
4) Fuel mileage was about 1 MPG less than what I typically get in my vehicle.
5) Really didn't like the gear shift. I know people think the knob in the 2014 is somewhat silly but it really opens up space in the center console area.

I had expectations that when I got back in my SCV6 there was going to be a huge empty feeling in my gut from feeling like the V8 was going to be missed, but there wasn't. I am perfectly happy with the SCV6 in my 2014 LR4.

Glad to know that there isn't a huge difference.

I had my LR3 for six years. One thing that I felt was a huge improvement when I got into my LR4 was the engine performance when the vehicle is loaded with passengers. With five adults, my LR3 felt weaker specially off the start or pulling up the entry ramps to the freeways.

When I drove my LR4 with five passengers for the first time I was pleasantly surprised that engine didn't feel stressed at all, not even a bit. With feeling of complete effortlessness, the V8 pulled up the freeway ramps as there was no load inside. As a matter of fact the whole vehicle felt much better and more smooth to drive when loaded. It felt more stable and bit more settled on the freeway, sort of like what my LR3 used to feel on the freeway, in terms of the stability, with its softer suspension setup and heavier steering weight compared to LR4's firmer suspension feel and lighter steering.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, just waiting for Gear Vendors or some other outfit to come up with a split case deal so you can have a good overdrive on the 2013 and down V8 LR4. Cruise all day at 1200 RPM and almost sip fuel. They did it for other vehicles but would guess the LR doesn't sell enough units to make it worthwhile to build a unit for us.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if the general consensus is that a NA engine loses about 3 percent of its power for every 1000 ft of elevation, vs a FI engine that loses only about 1.5 percent (half) for the same 1000 ft, then the SCV6 wins hands down at an elevation of say 7000 ft.

Using the above formula the following will be the final horsepower left for each engine at 7000 ft:

NAV8: 375 hp (at sea level) minus 21 percent of it (78.75 horses) = 296.25 horses
SCV6: 340 hp (at sea level) minus 1.5 percent of it (35.7 horses) = 304.3 horses

And of course the difference would be higher (say at 8000 ft or more) in favor of the SCV6.

So with that math, the range rover (or sport) with its 510 hp SCV8 motor does pretty well at 7000 ft for still having more than 450 horsepower at that elevation.

I wonder whats the loss percentage of torque at elevation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV