NAV8 vs SCV6 Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aj22

Reaction score
Yes, but here' my question, don't I need more torque at low end rather than at 3500 rpm (and above) where my car does not really live most of the time (and/or has already gained enough momentum to not really be in need of as much torque but rather horsepower)?

And if I am at 3500 rpm, its usually on the freeway while cruising at much higher speeds or trying to gain more speed in a hurry while I am already at highway speed. And at those speeds, doesn't horse power have more role to play than torque?

Even if I a step on gas relatively hard off the line, by the time I am at 3500 rpm its already time for the car to up-shift to a higher gear. So just when I reach the peak torque its time to up-shift.

I always had thought/read that torque is generally beneficial at the low end and horsepower at the high end of rpm.

You're more or less correct. HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
So, from a start, it's torque that matters. For top speed, it's HP, because ultimately, higher RPM = higher HP. In the middle, basically, it depends.

From the formula, it's clear why flat torque curves are good, as torque drops off, at some point, you'll want to be in a higher gear with lower RPM to get more power.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're more or less correct. HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
So, from a start, it's torque that matters. For top speed, it's HP, because ultimately, higher RPM = higher HP. In the middle, basically, it depends.

From the formula, it's clear why flat torque curves are good, as torque drops off, at some point, you'll want to be in a higher gear with lower RPM to get more power.

makes sense. With my LR3 on long open area freeway drives, even with zero grade/incline, and with cruise control set between 70 to 90, etc, I would sometimes find the transmission downshifting automatically to fifth gear and remain in fifth to maintain the set speed. I would throw it in manual and upshift to sixth gear for lower rpm but as soon as I'd move the transmission back to "D", it would downshift back to fifth again. This happened a few times on my trip from NY to LA a few years ago. Truck was only four and a half months old and had only about 3k miles on it with only me and maybe about 150 to 175 pounds worth of cargo. I am not sure but I could have been at higher altitudes when the above happened.

At the time I wasn't sure why the above was happening but I realize now and/or the only explanation I could come up with is that the driveline didn't have enough torque at 2000 to 3000 RPM (where the engine should roughly be for 70 to 90 mph) and it was fighting the wind etc so it had to downshift to keep up.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it seems like the SCV6 also have the same engine protection from water, etc as the NAV8 according to this press release (unless V8 has more protective elements).

http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/..._lr4/?&locus=3

Question for people who have owned or have driven both SCV6 and NAV8 a fare amount, did you notice any difference between the two in terms of smoothness, noise, vibration, and harshness? I love the creamy smoothness of the V8. Are the two engines at least comparable in that regard? Thanks.

Last edited:

..mg..

Reaction score
^V8 feels smoother when accelerating from a stop. I feel LR/Jag did a better job tuning the responsiveness and smoothness for any given throttle input at low speeds. At speed, they're the same.

Landroverer4

Reaction score
Surf, I 100% agree with you and have said that I would have loved to had the V8 with the 8 speed auto. I left that piece out on purpose, granted, to a degree it can't full be left out.

But, like you said, we will never know what that combo could have presented. I would like to think that LR tried it and found it just wasn't good enough. Odd's are it would have caused more changes which would have cost more and that was the reason. We will never know.

Well they had that combination in the 2013 range rover HSE.. LR really don't have an excuse

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well they had that combination in the 2013 range rover HSE.. LR really don't have an excuse

Your right, I just looked it up. I didn't know that. I thought they had the SCV6 from the start in that model.

There certainly wasn't a mileage boost at all. Says 14-20 for the V8 with the 8 Speed. 13-19 with the Supercharger.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must admit that I would like more "smoothness from the start" when I am turning around on a narrow shelf road and facing out over a 1,000' cliff. :-( Not being 100% confident in the feel of the responsiveness of the accelerator added to my panic when I was in the situation a couple of weeks ago. I don't care at all on the street. But when off road you sometimes need a delicate touch on the accelerator. Smooth acceleration would be really nice.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must admit that I would like more "smoothness from the start" when I am turning around on a narrow shelf road and facing out over a 1,000' cliff. :-( Not being 100% confident in the feel of the responsiveness of the accelerator added to my panic when I was in the situation a couple of weeks ago. I don't care at all on the street. But when off road you sometimes need a delicate touch on the accelerator. Smooth acceleration would be really nice.

I feel the same in my current NAV8 sometimes. That was one of the first things I had noticed coming off of LR3. If I have to make a sharp left/right turn as I pull into a parking spot and have to reverse the vehicle once to avoid hitting the cars parked alongside, sometimes if I am not careful, the car can lunge forward easily as I begin to drive forward again after finishing my reverse move. Same thing pulling out of the park space if I have to go forward reverse a bit.

Also, with the evoque loaner I noticed that the Stoppers were really nice and soft if you turned the steering wheel to the lock position in a hurry. With my LR4, if you do that you are slapped on the wrist with a nice not-so-muted metal sound as the steering wheel comes to a stop.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm glad I spotted this thread! It was either resurrect this thread or start a new one, and since this will be my first post in this forum, I figured resurrecting would be a better plan. Plus, it'll be interesting to hear how opinions and experience with these motors have changed since the last post (~1.5 years ago).

I will be purchasing an LR4 very soon and have been trying to find the perfect 2013—with the HD package—but without any luck at all. I am very knowledgeable about these machines and know what to look out for that'll distinguish one with or without this package, but I've been quite tempted to blow the '13 off and pick up a newer one with the SCV6... I'd like to hear opinions on whether sweating over finding the right one with the V8 will be worth it, or if I've been wasting time avoiding the SCV6. I've driven both, and to me, the V8 indeed feels noticeably stronger and delivers that power much more smoothly and effortlessly. Although adequate, the SCV6 seems to work harder more of the time and is a little "jolty" when getting on the power, but then again I may just be being whiny and pessimistic... :tongue:

Just to give you all an idea, I will be indeed be using it to its full potential in terms of capability (not grocery capacity), but typically at high elevation around 10-13k feet above sea level. I will also be towing my '92 Range Rover Classic on occasion. I know the supercharger would be nice when off-roading at those higher elevations, but I'm worried the engine may work too hard when I go out to tow and/or pack the car up with lots of heavy equipment and gear. Plus, reliability?

I appreciate any and all advice, and look forward to being an active member. Many thanks!

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm glad I spotted this thread! It was either resurrect this thread or start a new one, and since this will be my first post in this forum, I figured resurrecting would be a better plan. Plus, it'll be interesting to hear how opinions and experience with these motors have changed since the last post (~1.5 years ago).

I will be purchasing an LR4 very soon and have been trying to find the perfect 2013—with the HD package—but without any luck at all. I am very knowledgeable about these machines and know what to look out for that'll distinguish one with or without this package, but I've been quite tempted to blow the '13 off and pick up a newer one with the SCV6... I'd like to hear opinions on whether sweating over finding the right one with the V8 will be worth it, or if I've been wasting time avoiding the SCV6. I've driven both, and to me, the V8 indeed feels noticeably stronger and delivers that power much more smoothly and effortlessly. Although adequate, the SCV6 seems to work harder more of the time and is a little "jolty" when getting on the power, but then again I may just be being whiny and pessimistic... :tongue:

Just to give you all an idea, I will be indeed be using it to its full potential in terms of capability (not grocery capacity), but typically at high elevation around 10-13k feet above sea level. I will also be towing my '92 Range Rover Classic on occasion. I know the supercharger would be nice when off-roading at those higher elevations, but I'm worried the engine may work too hard when I go out to tow and/or pack the car up with lots of heavy equipment and gear. Plus, reliability?

I appreciate any and all advice, and look forward to being an active member. Many thanks!

We have had two and still own one 2013 LR4 HSE, one sold was the HSE LUX and loved them both. Difference as far as rough road capability was in that the LUX had the HD package with the locker rear, tow pack and the full size spare. I was so glad to have the aluminum V8 as it has excellent low end power and acceleration, something that I just do not see in the SCV6. Plus, at trade in time, the V8's are bringing close to original sales price in this market, albeit low mileage ones are at the top. I sold the LUX for almost what I paid for it a year later and with about 5 or 6K miles on it as I recall.

Great vehicle and tough as nails. Shrugs off the snow, sand and dirt and keeps moving like as bull. Only down side may be the lower fuel mileage on the V8 but I gladly sacrifice that for the brute power.

Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72