$340 for an oil change!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 215 was just for the oil, everything else was under warranty.

I asked for all TSBs and software updates to fix a few issues, including the subwoofer not turning on issue. So far so good.

2013 LR4 HSE Lux w/ rear e-diff, RSE

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped mine off this morning, there were two service updates, I'll post up the info. One was the update Umbertob posted about, check engine light which I haven't seen.

Does anyone have a general price list for the service intervals? I'm at 25K.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked for all TSBs and software updates to fix a few issues, including the subwoofer not turning on issue.

I think another member had the same problem and previously you both weren't able to correct it on your own.
Glad to hear there is a fix for this.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think another member had the same problem and previously you both weren't able to correct it on your own.
Glad to hear there is a fix for this.

I have only had this new software for 1 day, so I can't say for sure that it fixed it. I dont have a changelog on what all was changed between versions.

Does anyone have a way to get information on the software changes? a changelog?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A somewhat related note. My service guy is adamant that I not do an oil change until the free one I get at 15K (or one year - I'm almost to 10K so it definitely won't make one year!). He said that the factory engineers really want the engine to break in (OK, he didn't say "break in" but it was something akin to that in more words) and that the best way to do the process is to let it go the full 15K. That is new to me. Of course the first change is free for me. I asked if I could pay him the normal rates to do one earlier and he said he really does not want to do it. So I'll wait - especially given that most of those miles are steady, interstate driving. He said that after that initial period of 15K he would be good with me changing more frequently whether it be them or us. Of course this is only for new vehicles. But it was something I hadn't heard before.

That makes no sense. If they are adamant about 15k, then why 1 year? I could have driven my car 3k miles in one year. What's wrong about changing oil more often?

What I have heard is of cars having a particular kind of oil from the factory that must be changed out at 1k miles because the initial oil is more conducive to removing particles left over form the manufacturing process. But to force a car to stay with oil up to 15k miles is absurd.

Oil only gets crappier as you use it.

I am a believer in an "early" oil change when the car is new. I predicted I would put 8k miles in the first year (still on pace for that), so I changed the oil at 4k miles. I will get my free service at one year and 8k miles, and from then on I will change it every 7.5k miles or 1 year whichever comes first.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15k OR 1 year. whichever is first.

Also, an update. The subwoofer issue was not fixed with the software update. Bummer.

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was quoted $120 by West Coast Rovers in Lake Forrest, CA. I'm outta my free oil changes and need to get my first one done. They get good Yelp reviews and he stated that they do use Synthetic. Taking it in within the next month.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was quoted $120 by West Coast Rovers in Lake Forrest, CA. I'm outta my free oil changes and need to get my first one done. They get good Yelp reviews and he stated that they do use Synthetic. Taking it in within the next month.

See now that seems too cheap considering the oil+filter alone are $120+.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They are indeed good people, but they must have quoted you for dyno oil. It'll be probably closer to $200 in the end, if they use OEM oil and filter for the LR4.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut