How low to deflate my Hankooks on my Compos?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There may be only a couple of you who can answer this question as I don't know if anyone else is running Hankook 265/65/18's on Compomotives. But you may still be able to give me some guidance on how much to deflate them before going offroad. 15?

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My set up is compomotive wheels and BFG TA KO 265/65/18.
For everyday driving i keep front tires at 38-39 PSI and rear tires at 44-45 PSI.
When off roading I lower it to30 PSI for rocky terrain ( ex Broken Arrow in Sedona) or 20-25 PSI for some soft soil or sand. LR4 had an amazing traction control which does magic. Even with street tire pressure and stock tires our trucks perform very well. 265/65/18 still does not have a very tall sidewalls so you have to be careful how much you air down.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan

As I might have mentioned I just sold my 18s with Hankooks however I never felt the need to deflate them much even when rock crawling.

My thought is that 15 might be pretty low for these tires. Also unlike the BFGs their max inflation is 44 and not 80 (or 51 like on the XL that are OEM in 19).

If you have a compressor you can just play with the pressure until you find something adequate (it will vary depending on the terrain). Make sure to not deflate too much so your tire doesn't "un-mount" itself.

Axel

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the above, 15 is way too low for any surface but really deep and soft sand, where 12-15 may become necessary to maintaintraction. Airing down to 30-32 or so will get you through pretty much everything else.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would worry about popping the bead or actually damaging the sidewall more easily at very low pressures.

We just don't have the sidewall size needed for a true ballooned tire off road. Would be fun to see an LR4 done up like the iceland arctic trucks used in that top gear special they did at the north pole. They moved the wheel arches and reworked suspension and such to get big tires under it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV