Octane used in 2013 LR2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jschneiter

Reaction score
I just bought a new 2013 LR2.. It replaced my 2008 LR@ that I was very pleasede with for 127,000 miles.

The 2013 has a 4 cylinder, supercharged engine, while my 2008 had a 6 cylinder.. The 2013 LR2 says I have to use higher octane gas.. I have been using mid grade so far wioth no issues.. Can I get away with 87 Octane("regular") in that engine or will I get a knock & mess it up? I've just been wondering if anyone else has already tried that..

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"NO", why would you want to put cheap gas in a higher performance engine, even if it does have 2 less cylinders?????
Read your owner manual, notice on the cluster and at the gas cap area.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a highly tuned TURBO 4-cylinder, and even if the electronics will adjust to prevent knocking and pinging on the lower octane gas - high stress and/or hot temperatures will take their toll. Gas mileage is probably lower with 87 or even 89 too - definitely performance.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't save you any money if the engine is de-tuning itself to avoid knock on the lower grade fuel.

Do the math, its not saving you much.

Fozzy325

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new 2013 as well and I am on the 4th tank of fuel. 1st take i did 93/91/95 and it was great. second to test it was 89 no difference, 3rd was 87 and again no performance issues.

However saying this i only did this to see if i get noticeable problems so when I get a crap tank of fuel i will know.

I will run on 91/93/95 when and where possible but if you do read the internet and read test results for the usage of fuel then you really only notice the performance issues with high performance engines (race tuned or dyno engines).

However I have seen some results of valves that were burnt away from the use of wrong fuel.. but i think this was more geared towards leaded and unleaded fuels.

However because this is a turbocharged engine it is automatically a performance engine so i would say just run it on 91/93/95 when you can

Road Ghost

Reaction score
Use what the manual says. Stop cheaping out on a pricey vehicle. If you continue to use low octane fuel, you will damage sensors and engine components and affect driveability. A year from now, you'll be here crying how it doesn't start, or it keeps throwing codes and the dealer believes you've been abusing the vehicle through laziness and neglect.

High compression engines and turbo/supercharged NEED premium!

That is all.

Road Ghost

Reaction score
Use what the manual says. Stop cheaping out on a pricey vehicle. If you continue to use low octane fuel, you will damage sensors and engine components and affect driveability. A year from now, you'll be here crying how it doesn't start, or it keeps throwing codes and the dealer believes you've been abusing the vehicle through laziness and neglect.

High compression engines and turbo/supercharged NEED premium!

That is all. :bootyshak

Road Ghost

Reaction score
Use premium fuel. If you cheap out and use 87 you'll end up with problems you don't need. 87 is ok if there is nothing higher available (like in the boonies), but enough to get you back to civilization. No you won't feel a difference as the computer will adjust timing, but why risk damage when driving it hard?

raima55

Reaction score
The latest Car Reliability Survey results were recently posted. The reported number of repair trips per 100 cars per year for the Land Rover LR2 and Freelander2 was 53, which is about average.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA