2012 LR4 18,000 miles replacing the breaks myself.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the front pads this morning. This is I believe the 3rd set up front and I don't think I've ever done the rears. 75K miles and the rears still look at least 50% to me.

I had planned to change the rotors, but stupid me I thought the rotors were sold in pairs like the pads and wound up with only 1 (purchasing from Rock Auto). I measured the rotors and they were still easily within spec. But I had 1 pad, the inside passenger side, that was wore all the way to the metal, so it probably messed up the rotor and I'll need to replace them. The piston and caliper all seemed to move fine so I'm not sure why the inside pad wore so much more. It was the sensor on the other wheel that actually indicated the brake pad wear, so all the pads were low, but none as bad as that one. It may be the rotor was bad before.

Couple of things I noted:
1. DIY guides I had seen indicated needing a manual impact driver with posidriv bit for the rotor screw. Mine have a Torx head and I was able to easily loosen it with a socket wrench and Torx socket. I will need to get a 12 point metric socket for the carrier though.

2. This seems obvious in hindsight, but the bolts holding the caliper piston on do not go into the carrier themselves, you have to hold the nut on the inside (I think it was 16mm) as you remove the bolt or it will turn forever with no relief. The sliding pins with the rubber jacket stay with the carrier. My pads came with replacement jackets so I replaced them. The best process is to loosen the top bolt and remove the bottom bolt to swing up the caliper piston...better than removing both bolts and trying to find something to hold it while you put the new pads in.

I'm sure this is at least the 2nd time I've done this Land Rover and I've done many other cars, but each one is a bit different and there are always a few minor details to figure out.

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I hate to beat a dead horse but I'm at my wits end to replace. I tried to price out at several places:

Atlantic British
LR Merriam
Place for brakes.com
Buy brakes.com

AB has a 4 wheel kit but won't sell for early 2010 vin # below AA547441 (which mine is). Those #s coincide with LR Merriam which only lists that part number. The EBC sellers only list 1 part number as direct replacement. So far the best bet seems like buybrakes.com EBC sport yellow front/green rear for $800. This is all great but no sensors or brake pad clips. Anyone have insight into this?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just paid $2k for a full job (front and rear pads, rotors, and sensors) from the dealership.

Ouch.

Note: all were just below spec and I had the pad warning message for a month now. Truck is at 37.2k miles.

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered OEM from LR Merriam. Replaced rotors/pads/sensors for $800 myself. Saved $$$$.

Wedgehead

Reaction score
Ever heard of Ebay? Got the set for front and rear rotors with pads and sensors for $229. Problem is the front rotor bolt is too damn tight and have to replace those with cost $1.95 each.

brakes.png

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA