LR4 Tow Assist - does it exist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The instructions are with the kit. The rear bumper doesn't have to be removed, but the drivers side tail light has to be pulled. Oh, and the spare needs to be taken out of the way too. It's not a big deal to remove the tail light; there are only two screws that hold it in place. From there it is just plugging things in and running the cable. It's tight in the little compartment to get to things, but it is dooable.

Everything as far as lights will work without updating the CCF, but tow assist can only be accessed if the CCF is updated.

Rob

Al Rodriguez

Reaction score
The instructions are with the kit. The rear bumper doesn't have to be removed, but the drivers side tail light has to be pulled. Oh, and the spare needs to be taken out of the way too. It's not a big deal to remove the tail light; there are only two screws that hold it in place. From there it is just plugging things in and running the cable. It's tight in the little compartment to get to things, but it is dooable.

Everything as far as lights will work without updating the CCF, but tow assist can only be accessed if the CCF is updated.

Rob

Thank You , I will give it a try, do you know if the older style of the LR4 hitch (not LR019990), hangs down to low, i can save money on the older style, seems like more of those are available. Thanks, Al

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the older style will work fine. There were issues with one of the earlier designs, but think that has been covered on the forums. Something about the locking mechanism. That being said, the newer style does sit close to the rear bumper and that has to better for towing as the hitch is higher. There seems to be a limit on the amount of rise you can have with a tow ar. The manual has it all in there. I haven't towed anything with mine but use the hitch a lot for my mountain bike and a hitch mounted luggage carrier.

rob

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st generation of tow hitch has an issue with locking mechanism. It can be identified with black colored key. No worries though as the locking mechanism can be replaced with newer design with orange colored key for like $30 or so. Part number KNB500080K and British Utah lists one for $$30 plus shipping.

Second generation is same as 1 generation with new locking mechanism.

3rd generation is about 1-2 inch shorter.

Off Roader

Reaction score
Tow assist feature

Hi,
I'm a UK Discovery 4 (LR4) owner. The Tow Assist option is only available if you have the full five camera system fitted, in which case you will have a 'Camera' option on the Home page of your touch screen. Unfortunately the five camera option cannot be retrofitted, it has to have been part of the original build options.
If you do have the Tow Assist option you will require a Target Tracking Sticker to be attached to the front of your trailer in order to get the full Tow Assist functionality. These stickers are available from Land Rover part number LLR021589.
Hope this helps ...
Off Roader.

hotdog

Reaction score
Wiring Harness on 2012 LR4

I have a new 2012 LR4 LUX.

The dealer is quoting $585 for the wiring harness & install. Seems pricey, he says the 2012 is a hassle to install (something to do with the keyless entry). Anyone know about this for 2012?

Also my 2012 has NO Vision assist. Does this mean I will have no Tow Assist once the wiring is done?

Thx in advance for any advice. Cheers

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, not to thread jack, but since we are talking about towing... Does TSA or Land Rover Trailer Stability Assist have to be enabled in order to work? I am of the impression that the camera system (which I don't have) is not required for that to work, but was wondering if it comes from the factory turned "on".

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new 2012 LR4 LUX.

The dealer is quoting $585 for the wiring harness & install. Seems pricey, he says the 2012 is a hassle to install (something to do with the keyless entry). Anyone know about this for 2012?

Also my 2012 has NO Vision assist. Does this mean I will have no Tow Assist once the wiring is done?

Thx in advance for any advice. Cheers

No vision assist=no tow assist. Need to have the 5 cameras

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, not to thread jack, but since we are talking about towing... Does TSA or Land Rover Trailer Stability Assist have to be enabled in order to work? I am of the impression that the camera system (which I don't have) is not required for that to work, but was wondering if it comes from the factory turned "on".

Trailer stability assist is programed by the dealer once they instal the tow electrics. That's what I was told by my dealer. No tow electrics, means you will not tow and hence you will not need the trailer assist feature. That is the reasoning they quoted me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV