LR4 Tow Assist - does it exist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow Assist/Hitch Assist Software Issues

For some unknown reason my 2015 LR4 doesn't show the menu option for the tow/hitch assist. Dealership is working into why it can not be activated since the vehicle is equipped with this option. Any one had any experience with this problem?

hy45100

Reaction score
Yes, I had this issue with my 2014 LR4 that I purchased at the Austin, Tx Land Rover dealership. I had to do some digging and calling around other Land Rovers before I found one that knew what I was talking about. I then relayed it to the Austin Land Rover, so you may want to ask your dealer to call them or Houston (I-45 location). The Houston dealership is who told me how to do it. The technician had to plug in the laptop to the LR4 then in the settings section that's where the Tow Assist functionality can be enabled.

I hope this helps!

*** This is from my updated post when I posted my question to ask about this functionality

update regarding my post... i called the houston land rover north and a technician told us to have the austin land rover plug the computer to the car then go to accessories then electronics. the hitch assist and tow ball is now an option when you go to extra features > cameras > settings

Last edited:

Gmosley

Reaction score
Somewhat related

Not wanting to start another thread. I have had LR activate the tow assist. I noticed that when trying to set up the boat trailer, the orange/red box is not centered on the boat. I took it back to LR and they said that the camera was off and claimed to have adjusted it. I tried again and it looked the same to me. Called Land Rover and they said that once I stick on the 3 dots, the camera will adjust. I tried that, and the camera still points to the left of the dots. The dots are just outside the box. I mentioned to the service department that even the LR videos on setting the trailer up shows the box automatically centered on the trailer. Has anyone experienced this issue? I am still towing without it, but would like to have the tow assist work as designed. LR told me that until the trailer is set-up under the tow assist feature, I will continue to have the reverse sensor go off. Once the trailer is programmed into the car, the reverse warning will not go off when the trailer is attached. If anyone has had similar issues and was able to find a resolution, please let me know so I can share with my dealer. Thanks is advance

hy45100

Reaction score
Gmosley - I'd go back to LR to have them check it out again... I know the Austin LR wasn't knowledgable at all about Tow Assist. If yours isn't either then maybe have them call the Houston (I45) location - they're the ones who told me how to do it and then I told Austin LR. Once my Tow assist was set up I didn't have any issues so I didn't need the stickers either.

Gmosley

Reaction score
Gmosley - I'd go back to LR to have them check it out again... I know the Austin LR wasn't knowledgable at all about Tow Assist. If yours isn't either then maybe have them call the Houston (I45) location - they're the ones who told me how to do it and then I told Austin LR. Once my Tow assist was set up I didn't have any issues so I didn't need the stickers either.

Thanks. They seemed to understand what had to be done to activate the tow assist, I think what has them perplexed is why the box isn't centered on the back of the vehicle. I will contact the Houston dealer and ask some questions.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gmosley,

If it makes you feel any better, my box isn't centered at all either. When looking at my display it is clearly offset to the left of center almost as if on purpose.

Gmosley

Reaction score
Gmosley,

If it makes you feel any better, my box isn't centered at all either. When looking at my display it is clearly offset to the left of center almost as if on purpose.

Thanks.

Gmosley

Reaction score
So now LR has asked that I bring the vehicle with the boat and trailer in to see if they can fix it. I let them know that I have reservations about bringing in my boat, not just because the space is limited, but I don't want them moving the boat around and potentially damaging something. The more I think about it, since the LR4 rear camera isn't centered on the back of the car due to the split tailgate, maybe the box is intentionally off center. On other LR models, I think it would be centered. If any other LR4/LR3 owners that tow can chime in if orange box was centered or not, that would be great. At the end of the day I can still tow, but it would be nice to have the system work as designed, to include turning off the back up sensor and prompting me if a trailer is attached. I added the vision assist package because I knew I would be towing. I didn't realize at the time that it is a good feature to have anyway.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my experience. My LR dealer was able to figure out how to activate the software. It took them a couple visits but they did it. I came home all excited to set up my trailer and experience this amazing technology! How did I managed to pull a trailer for 20+ years is besides me right? well.... this feature sucks! The box is off centered, to the left (US drivers side). Since its a boat trailer, I can't stick the target on the boat, so me being an engineer, figured out how to make a "bracket" which can be attached to the trailer. I made sure that the bracket/target was inside the box, which by the way, has to be fairly close to the camera (3' or so). Once I did this, the target box did turn green and I was able to follow the simple steps to program the trailer type, centerline distance to hitch, axles and so on.
I tried to follow the camera and the lines and I almost **** myself in the process. According to my neighbor it was quite the sight. He actually pull a folding chair out and had a beer while watching me backing up the trailer. To be honest, the software is dumb and useless on a boat trailer. Perhaps on a regular "box" or horse trailer it may work better. My theory is that if someone needs this "feature" to pull a trailer, they should not be pulling a trailer to begin with. With that said, the Hitch Assist is great and worth the money. I can lower my suspension, back up under the hitch, raise it all the way and "boom" , ready to go! I would not pull my boat to the LR dealership to be honest, but if I tell you that I am not wishing someone will, I will be lying. I am curious to see if I gave up to soon.

Gmosley

Reaction score
This is my experience. My LR dealer was able to figure out how to activate the software. It took them a couple visits but they did it. I came home all excited to set up my trailer and experience this amazing technology! How did I managed to pull a trailer for 20+ years is besides me right? well.... this feature sucks! The box is off centered, to the left (US drivers side). Since its a boat trailer, I can't stick the target on the boat, so me being an engineer, figured out how to make a "bracket" which can be attached to the trailer. I made sure that the bracket/target was inside the box, which by the way, has to be fairly close to the camera (3' or so). Once I did this, the target box did turn green and I was able to follow the simple steps to program the trailer type, centerline distance to hitch, axles and so on.
I tried to follow the camera and the lines and I almost **** myself in the process. According to my neighbor it was quite the sight. He actually pull a folding chair out and had a beer while watching me backing up the trailer. To be honest, the software is dumb and useless on a boat trailer. Perhaps on a regular "box" or horse trailer it may work better. My theory is that if someone needs this "feature" to pull a trailer, they should not be pulling a trailer to begin with. With that said, the Hitch Assist is great and worth the money. I can lower my suspension, back up under the hitch, raise it all the way and "boom" , ready to go! I would not pull my boat to the LR dealership to be honest, but if I tell you that I am not wishing someone will, I will be lying. I am curious to see if I gave up to soon.

Thanks for that feedback. I too really like the tow hitch zoom. I have a feeling that what i have now is as good as it will get. I can tow with no problem and if they can make the back-up sensor turn off when the trailer is attached then that would be even better. Thanks again

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick