CEL: Barometric Pressure Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Received a check engine light yesterday. Pulled the code and it was Manifold Absolute Pressure / Barometric Pressure Sensor / Range Performance.

Anyone had these sensors go bad? Rig feels great just the CEL. Im guessing one or both could be on the way out.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a bad/dirty MAF sensor in my old 2006 Sport with the 4.4L NAV8 (just 1 air intake on that puppy, so just one sensor.) At first it was just an errant CEL that would extinguish on its won after a few miles, engine ran great. Eventually though, the engine started stalling on me when idling at a stoplight or maneuvering in a parking lot a slow speeds. At first I cleaned it and it worked for a while, but the symptoms eventually returned and I decided to replace it. No more CELs since.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a bad/dirty MAF sensor in my old 2006 Sport with the 4.4L NAV8 (just 1 air intake on that puppy, so just one sensor.) At first it was just an errant CEL that would extinguish on its won after a few miles, engine ran great. Eventually though, the engine started stalling on me when idling at a stoplight or maneuvering in a parking lot a slow speeds. At first I cleaned it and it worked for a while, but the symptoms eventually returned and I decided to replace it. No more CELs since.

Ya I believe MAFs usually have that issue due to the air flowing over the unit. Ive had number of them on BMWs over the years and a few cleaning tests will prove if they are going bad. I think however that BPS are a bit different and even supposedly more reliable due to measurement of pressure and not a flow. My LR4 has just turned 60k and the sensors are most likely original so I guess if the code starts coming back ill swap them and find out.

Last edited:

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Light is back on. I am assuming its the actually MAP sensor at this point. :hmpf: Will replace and report back this week.

Last edited:

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the post, how many miles are on your 2011? My engine light came on today with the same code P0106. reset and will see if it trips again. Please let me know if your replacement of the MAP sensor takes care of the issue. Thanks

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the post, how many miles are on your 2011? My engine light came on today with the same code P0106. reset and will see if it trips again. Please let me know if your replacement of the MAP sensor takes care of the issue. Thanks

I reset the CEL and then it came back on the next day. It did however go away the day after but I choose to just go ahead and replace the sensor.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I reset the CEL and then it came back on the next day. It did however go away the day after but I choose to just go ahead and replace the sensor.

Thanks. 40k on ours. I replaced the air filters with K&N replacements a couple thousand miles ago, not sure if I got the code from too much flow (out of spec) or faulty sensor.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I read on the *** boards the K&N's can do that.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I read on the *** boards the K&N's can do that.

I believe your thinking of MAFs. The Mass Air Flow sensors are right behind the air filter. Although if they did get any oil on them you could clean them off with a MAF cleaner and be ok. The MAP sensor however is way back behind the throttle body as you can see in my DIY link. I would highly doubt any oil would make its way back there and or damage that sensor. That being said I don't like K&N filters for the potential for this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut