LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTBike

Reaction score
All, I'm relatively new to the LR world (taking delivery on my LR4 landmark next month) but not new to business. It seems like a really stupid move - as all of you have pointed out- to completely phase out the off-road enthusiast market segment by replacing the LR4 with the explorer look alike, and end it there.

Doesn't it seem more likely that they will phase the Discovery into the platform you see above, but then also phase back in the Defender with a huge update - to retain and more importantly grow the off-road /luxury enthusiast segment? This seems like a smart move that's also in line with what Motor Trend recently posted about the RR going up-market. So basically - RR hits upmarket segment, Disco hits the soccer mom and street cruiser segment, and the defender takes on the off-road enthusiast segment.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All, I'm relatively new to the LR world (taking delivery on my LR4 landmark next month) but not new to business. It seems like a really stupid move - as all of you have pointed out- to completely phase out the off-road enthusiast market segment by replacing the LR4 with the explorer look alike, and end it there.

Doesn't it seem more likely that they will phase the Discovery into the platform you see above, but then also phase back in the Defender with a huge update - to retain and more importantly grow the off-road /luxury enthusiast segment? This seems like a smart move that's also in line with what Motor Trend recently posted about the RR going up-market. So basically - RR hits upmarket segment, Disco hits the soccer mom and street cruiser segment, and the defender takes on the off-road enthusiast segment.

Let's hope that is what happens, but they seem to want to soften and broaden the design. Diluting more and more.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, lots of assumptions here based on some photos of test mules that apparently bear a passing resemblance to a Ford Explorer. The general consensus seems to be it must therefore be exactly like a Ford Explorer, except overpriced and with more supple leather.

In bone stock form, and leaving aside the looks for a second which are very subjective to begin with, the current generation L405 Range Rover is arguably a more capable performer than the L322 Range Rover it replaced (which was superior to the P38.) So is the 2nd gen Sport, compared to the first which was really an LR3 in drags. Even the "cheap" new Disco Sport runs circles around its LR2 predecessor. I don't know about this new Disco, but Land Rover usually improves its vehicles' capabilities (on road and off) every time they introduce a new model. And every time, just before launch the "purists" and "brand loyalists" declare it DOA, the end of Land Rover as we know it, the heritage thing out the window... I am not quite ready to declare this Disco a mall queen that has lost any and all off-roading capabilities until, you know, we get to check one out in the flesh, read its specs, test drive one, etc?

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The article from Motor Trend suggested the new discovery would be more upscale and the new defender would backfill the the dedicated 4x4 spot left by the discovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting close, the more or less official world debut list for the Paris Auto Show is below:

The world premiere of a four-cylinder engine in Land Rover's Range Rover Sport will be at the Paris motor show.

Audi A5 Coupé and S5 Coupé: lighter and longer, platform is MLB Evo

Citroën C3: public debut for project B618 after 29 June media preview

Dacia Logan facelift: first update since its 2012 Paris show debut

Dacia Sandero facelift: was also introduced at 2012 Paris show

Ferrari LaFerrari Aperta: open top version of the hypercar

Ford: not attending

Honda Civic five-door: production to start in England in late 2016

Hyundai i30: third generation model, three-door will not be replaced

Infiniti QX50: will look similar to QX Sport concept from 2016 Beijing show

Infiniti VC-T: variable compression turbocharged four-cylinder engine

Land Rover Discovery: L462, should use D7u aluminium architecture

Land Rover Range Rover Sport SD4: 240PS & 500Nm Ingenium diesel
DETAILS HERE

Maserati Quattroporte facelift: mid-cycle refresh and higher top speeds

Mercedes-AMG E 43 4MATIC Estate: 295kW/401hp 3.0-litre V6

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate: motor show premiere, public debut was in June

Mercedes-Benz E-Class All Terrain: higher ride height estate, rival for A6 allroad

Mercedes-Benz plug-in crossover concept: preview of a Tesla Model X rival

Mitsubishi Ground Tourer concept: similar in concept to the Evoque

Nissan Micra: to be built in France at Renault's Flins plant

Opel Zafira Tourer facelift: deliveries began earlier in September

Peugeot 3008: second generation model, in dealerships from year-end

Porsche Panamera: first car for the Volkswagen Group's MSB platform

Renault Alaskan: public premiere, follows media debut in June

Renault Clio facelift: mild restyle and 1.5 dCi 110 diesel added

Renault sports car concept: to show a new styling direction as DeZir did

Škoda Kodiaq: public debut for this big SUV, on sale from Q1

SsangYong concept: expected to be a preview of next Rexton

Volvo: not attending

Last edited:

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2017 RRS will offer more than 50 exterior color options including SVO custom colors, available at all trim levels, for a premium price of $4000-9000.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be an illusion but it looks like there is a lot of overhang behind the rear wheels. Looks like it has plumped up in dimensions. I love the size of the LR4, one reason we bought it. Fits in our city house sized garage and works well on the small streets yet has plenty of interior room.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV