19" Wheel/Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvmerc

Reaction score
I have 19" wheels on my 2012 LR4 HSE Lux. Seems like the selection for off road/all terrain tires for 19" wheels is limited. Any suggestions?

Also, what is the largest size and width people are running on stock ride height without lifting bars?

Last edited:

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a quick search. There are a few topics already that cover this pretty well with the options available.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tire sticky thread would be useful in this forum though since its pretty useful info for everyone.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 19" wheels on my 2012 LR4 HSE Lux. Seems like the selection for off road/all terrain tires for 19" wheels is limited. Any suggestions?

Most of us are running the Cooper Zeon LTZ in 255-55-19

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul, do you find your Cooper's to be loud? My 19" Cooper's hum quiet a bit - even at slow speeds; whereas my 20" Coopers only hummed a bit over 50 mph or so. In comparison my 275/65-18 Nokian Rotivva's are quieter than the all-season GY's that were OE on my Z71 Suburban.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Coopers are only a little louder than those junk OE Contis when new. But the Coopers certainly get louder as they wear.

My dilemma is that the more worn down the Coopers get, the better the deep sand traction. When new, they tend to dig in sand, but when at least half worn, they provide excellent sand traction, float and steering.

So now I'm going to start running 3 sets of tires. Worn down 19" Coopers for July & August, 19" Nokian Hakka's in winter then some nice 20" road tires for spring and fall. Maybe a Michelin Latitude, Nitto NT421Q or Conti DWS06.

I have a neighbor with an LR4 and they have no interest in swapping tires by season, so they are running 19" Nokian WRG3's, which is probably the best all weather tire available for an LR4.

Last edited:

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Paul

They are definitely getting louder, even noticeable when braking for Stop signs - by far the loudest AT I have experienced.

My wife, who is the primary driver of the RR now, hates the Coopers, as they are much louder and rougher than the Pirelli ATR's they replaced. The ATR's were as quiet and performed as well on road as the Michelin Lat's they replaced, but as we all know, are no longer available in 19".

I'm looking hard at the Nokian WRG3's, but hate to give up the off tarmac capability, as there are times I need more capability than the Z71 can provide.

I might also go up to a 255/60-19 Michelin Defender LTX M\S

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, the Pirelli ATR. We went though multiple sets of those on our LR3 and they were a perfect compromise between road and light off road duty. I can't imagine why they stopped making them in 255-55-19. They could have sold thousands of sets to LR4 owners.

I agree, the worn Coopers are even annoying at low speeds and stop & go traffic. You feel the road vibration through the brake pedal.

You can't go wrong with the WRG3. I have never read a negative thing about them.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something interesting that I just discovered is this link, which states that General will be making their new Grabber X3 in 19-inch wheel sizes, at least in Europe:

http://www.generaltire-tyres.com/car/news/2016-09-01-grabber-at3-x3

Cannot tell if their new AT3 will come in 19-inch wheel sizes, but the range given in the above link may include them. EDIT: They do, in Europe, at least.

Looking at General's website, however, only turns up the X3 in 18" and 20" sizes--not 19" sizes. So, I'm not sure whether the above link is wrong or if it's a size that will be coming. EDIT: European website shows them in the 255/55/19 sizes, but states that they are only 2-ply construction.

The initial link above states that more sizes will be available this spring.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV