Sunroof shade - solid instead of mesh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Does anyone make a solid shade to replace the mesh one? These 90+ degree days in CO with my black on black are making it very hot in the car. If I had more of a solid shade for the sunroof it would help.

DaJammer

Reaction score
I'm in for an answer to this as well. I don't get why LR did a mesh here. If it were solid, then you have two very distinct options. Open to let in tons of light or closed to block out completely. The mesh does very little as far as in cabin shade and cooling as far as I can tell.

Front windshield shade is definitely helpful in keeping cabin cooler and protecting that nice leather dash. So if your not using one, you might consider also.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some black cloth at a crafts store and trimmed it to the size of the top of the shade. Used some small velcro tabs around the frame of the shade and on the shade itself (along the sides) to hold the cloth in place. You can access it from the top by keeping the shade closed and opening the sunroof. From inside the car, it looks fine and the shade doesn't let any light through. It generally works OK (so long as you don't open and close the shade too much - sometimes a car wash messes it up a bit), and I usually take it out in the winter. Not perfect, but I agree that it's ridiculous to not have the ability to block out all sun - for blocking both heat and actual sunlight.

cwatel

Reaction score
3M Crystillane CR40 did the trick. At least a 50% reduction in heat transfer and still plenty of light transfer. A bit expensive, but a solid investment.

Stealther

Reaction score
I used Llumar Air Blue on the overhead glass to keep it mostly clear but reject some heat. I like how bright the cabin is with my ivory leather - it's a big change from my usual cavelike interior.

DaJammer

Reaction score
Some really solid suggestions here. Thanks guys!

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a good solution for a front window shade? Stealership price was too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaJammer

Reaction score
I purchased the Covercraft UVS100 from Amazon...Have used these in my other vehicles and they are built well and seem to last.

Just be sure to purchase the one specifically made for the LR4!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get why LR did a mesh here. If it were solid, then you have two very distinct options. Open to let in tons of light or closed to block out completely. The mesh does very little as far as in cabin shade and cooling as far as I can tell.

The sunroof mesh has been a Discovery staple since the original Discovery. It's so that you can have the shade closed while the glass is open.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72