Suggestions On How To Sell My LR4 (Sad Day)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an extremely hard message to post. But, it is highly likely that we will be selling our LR4 soon - maybe as soon as possible. We (certainly I) have loved this vehicle. But as time has gone on, towing has become a higher priority for us and there are simply enough questions and ambiguities surrounding this with our LR4 that we are going to move on. I realize that many of you have and will have no issues towing. I also realize that, in all likelihood, we could continue on and never encounter a problem. But, the questions and doubts and all the efforts to attempt to offset those concerns have become more then "we" want to deal with. Towing our travel trailer has become a larger part of our adventures going forward and a higher priority for us as we look towards retirement.

So, I am wondering

1) if I should trade it, in which case I would replace the Compomotives and KO2s with the stock wheels/tires and offer those separately. I would also sell the OEM hitch receiver separately. But I would probably take a big hit on what I could get for it?

2) Attempt to sell it myself but I would need to move it fairly quickly.

MY14 HSE LUX. 53K Miles. Voyager rocks sliders with steps. I have posted a number of pics over the past two years.

Thoughts/suggestions? (I have never sold a vehicle myself before.)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear this Dan but understand completely. Mostly I am sorry as this likely means you won't be a regular contributor and presence on this forum after you sell (also understandable). You will be missed.

I'm sure you'll get many suggestions. I would recommend that you at least consider CarMax. No you won't make as much as you potentially might by selling it directly to a private buyer, but the convenience is amazing. Plus they'll offer you a fair price that you can take or leave with no obligations. Even if you commit to selling it on your own, I would suggest you get a $ number from them. Can't hurt. They'll do it on the spot as you browse other vehicles on their lot.

Good luck!

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an extremely hard message to post. But, it is highly likely that we will be selling our LR4 soon - maybe as soon as possible. We (certainly I) have loved this vehicle. But as time has gone on, towing has become a higher priority for us and there are simply enough questions and ambiguities surrounding this with our LR4 that we are going to move on. I realize that many of you have and will have no issues towing. I also realize that, in all likelihood, we could continue on and never encounter a problem. But, the questions and doubts and all the efforts to attempt to offset those concerns have become more then "we" want to deal with. Towing our travel trailer has become a larger part of our adventures going forward and a higher priority for us as we look towards retirement.

So, I am wondering

1) if I should trade it, in which case I would replace the Compomotives and KO2s with the stock wheels/tires and offer those separately. I would also sell the OEM hitch receiver separately. But I would probably take a big hit on what I could get for it?

2) Attempt to sell it myself but I would need to move it fairly quickly.

MY14 HSE LUX. 53K Miles. Voyager rocks sliders with steps. I have posted a number of pics over the past two years.

Thoughts/suggestions? (I have never sold a vehicle myself before.)

Bummer to hear. My 2 cents.

Convert it back to stock and either sell it or trade it if you can save on the tax etc. I bet you can sell your other off road stuff here on the forum including the hitch receiver. Ill start by helping you out and buying the wheels and tires.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point by churious to strip it to stock. If not, you may turn away potential buyers, or lose money on stuff that they won't want to pay for.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me know if you want to sell your compomotives

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. You are going to take a loss and switch to something else because you worry about problems you might have but know is very unlikely? wha?

The Discovery 3/4 has won many awards in the UK market precisely for its towing abilities...

"A brilliant tow car – a true heavyweight of the caravanning world."

http://www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/land-rover-discovery-4-2/

It goes on and on. Unless you are blatantly over the limits I can't figure out how this is worth ANY worry at all.

But.. good luck either way.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you. And, yes, I expected there would be some interest in the wheels (and even tires.) :biggrin:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. You are going to take a loss and switch to something else because you worry about problems you might have but know is very unlikely? wha?

The Discovery 3/4 has won many awards in the UK market precisely for its towing abilities...

"A brilliant tow car – a true heavyweight of the caravanning world."

http://www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/land-rover-discovery-4-2/

It goes on and on. Unless you are blatantly over the limits I can't figure out how this is worth ANY worry at all.

But.. good luck either way.

Great question. And for the last year I have tried to get my head around this. But the lack of clarity and consistency (7700# towing capacity but 550# max tongue weight with no adequate explanation as to why.) WD or no WD (I need WD with my trailer.) Sway control does or doesn't work with an anti-sway hitch. And the SCV6 having 20% less torque than the V8. And the silly shaningans I have had to go through trying to find the right hitch combination.

It simply became a matter of piece of mind when towing - and we plan to do some long trailer towing trips in the years ahead.

Time to shift gears so to speak. BTW, if I wasn't pulling a 6000# box up and over mountain passes and with lots of side winds I may not be as concerned. If we had decided to go with a smaller, lighter trailer as some have that would be great. But we really love the new trailer so that has become the first priority.

Anyway, you all rock! It has been great. And whatever happens I'll let you all know.

(BTW, if I thought the LR5 had a chance of enhancing/improving on the trailering capabilities I would wait. But I don't see it given where they are headed with the body architecture and loss of weight.)

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will make much more money stripping your vehicle to stock and selling the modifications separately.

The two likely scenarios if you try to sell your vehicle modified are: (1) the person doesn't like your modifications and thinks you "abused" your LR4 by taking it off-road; or (2) the prospective buyer wants to take the LR4 off-road but still wants to modify it themselves, because it seems like these days it's all about the "build."

As this thread has shown, there will be no shortage of people lining up to buy your parts.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, sorry to hear it. I am local in Denver, and as you know you get a tax benefit trading here so you will have an ~8% incentive to do that v. Carmax (and the dealers here know it.) Carmax also tends to ding trade in value for modifications. Being local I would be interested in your wheels, maybe other things if you choose to sell it. If I was a fan of bronze I would actually be interested in the whole car!

Curious to hear what you might move to as well. Not many options with a higher tow rating without going to a pickup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA