LR4 2011 map update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

htome

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I own a LR4 2011 in Canada and am trying to understand what I need to do to update navigation map. I keep on getting lost and not able to find places on it and had to start using my external Garmin...what a shame!

If I go to this site:
http://content.navteq.com/?2RTBvkr27nm09Q6QsIyN2UZfopalpCZL2
it tells me that I need to contact dealer to update maps for LR 2011, while LR4 2012 it is available and it costs $279 (I think it is US$)

I again contacted my dealer today who finally said that there is an update for my gps, but they want to charge me CAD$400 dollars to update it.

This seems to me more like a full version software purchase than actually an update.

Is the dealer that installs the original system or it comes pre-installed from factory?

If dealer installed it, then it seems to me that they installed a version that is not upgradable and that's why they are charging for new full version... am I right?

Does anybody know why I can't purchase maps for 2011 online and have to go thru dealer?

If I really have to go thru dealer, why is it so expensive?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My navigation map is dated from 2009. A lot of things have changed since then.
I called the dealer (after checking navteq as well) to get a quote on the update for my LR4 and they told me that it might be $200 or $280 depending if I have a DVD player or a harddrive based navigation system. I obviously have the HD based system which leads me to wonder how much do they know about the vehicle.
On top of that I wasn't able to get any information regarding the date for the new map... Will it be a 2012 or 2013 or what? I decided to wait and see if I can get more information on this.
Let me know if you find out anything else.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY2010 and 2011s need to be updated with a "special tool" (a Firewire hard drive) available at your dealer, so they will charge you for the Navteq software upload plus their labor to update the satnav map data. The individual dealer decides how much to charge based on their labor rates I guess, so it pays to shop around if you have choices nearby.

MY2012 and 2013s are supplied with a different interface, which allows upload of new maps onto the hard drive via the USB port under the armrest. So, you buy the USB flash drive directly from Navteq for a whopping $279, get an unlock code emailed to you based on your unique VIN, and when you receive the flash drive in the mail you plug it in, enter the unlock code and update the map data yourself (which I understand is a process that may take hours...)

I believe 2013 map data is out for both systems, so if you have a 2010 through 2012 with original software you should be able to get an update to the latest maps, at least here in North America, if you find your system seems outdated already. How and how much will depend on the model year you own.

Last edited:

htome

Reaction score
My model, which is 2011, can't only be update thru dealer as mentioned above "special tool"... I even asked if there is way to correct this so in the future I can use the same updating procedure available for 2012 and newer...obviously, I got a "that's is not possible"

This is the explanation I got from dealer for the "delightful" price:
"Every 1.5-2 years Nav Tech (the company who produces the mapping information) releases an update which is available for a charge which is how they make their money. So in order to upgrade your navigation software our service department first has to purchase a pass code from Nav Tech at a cost of $200 and then there is a 1.5 hour labor cost for the technician to upload and program the system which is what brings the total cost to $400."

Come on!!!, 1.5 hour labor?!?!? I just can't believe it... even if to upload takes time, they won't be seating there watching the process...

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Umberto.
Very helpful piece of information.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$400 for a map upgrade. Insane. You plug it in and walk away and come back. $150 labor? I would love for anyone to share any significant reasons why to do this upgrade. WOW.

htome

Reaction score
Hi lexman34,

I totally agree with you! Insane!!! I guess "picking their nose while" is counting as labor!

I wished there was another way of doing this. If anyone knows a way to hack these maps into the car let me know.

I guess for now, I will have to continue using my external Garmin next to the built-in so I don't get lost... what a shame!!!

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i do when my GPS can not help me..i pull out my Google Maps from my Iphone and it comes right through my speakers sand is highly accurate. Between the 2 of them...i do fine. I do find that the map i have (2010) takes me out of the way at times and Google may be a bit better. Probably why the update is needed to increase navigation processing.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and adds new roads to the system.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi