After market GPS ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mzrocstock

Reaction score
Looking for any after market reasonably priced ideas for GPS for LR3 SE. I heard that Magellans fit in that space needing only very little alter, but they have bad reviews. I've got quotes at $1,600 for an after market that flips up when turned on, but I don't like that type. Looking for just a basic reliable screen that will get me from point A to point B. Anyone ever try it with a Garmen? Looked up on how to remove control dash template and it's pretty easy, just need to find something to put in that navigational space.....it's driving me crazy having that empty hole there! Lol. Thanks in advance for any ideas you come up with. ;)

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a garmin solution in my SE, but its not cheap or easy or even in production anymore. I was able to get 2015 maps for only $95. You could probably still find the components on ebay and amazon - some discounted nicely. Kenwood G510, KOSL702, and KOSV500

IMG_0523.jpg

Video feed from overhead dvdplayer:
IMG_0522.jpg

Under truck and backup cameras (auto switch)
20140409_192455.jpg

Soft buttons for lights and now diff locker:
IMG_0690.jpg

This is a 2008 solution and starting to look dated. If I had to start from scratch today, Id probably go with a 7" ipad or android tablet.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ipad with gps apps that still function when loss of cellular signal. I use a non-cellular ipad but bring along a verizon hotspot. there are some cool gps apps for it.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The WAZE App!! Everyone should use it ;-)

Airstream345

Reaction score
Garmin Nuvi 65 LM as in dash GPS

On a recent trip to Fry's Electronics for something completely unrelated I picked up a refurbished one of these for $99:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/2014-line/nuvi-65lm/prod140393.html

It fits perfectly in the center dash cubby and works like a charm. I plan to run the power cable from behind the GPS and perhaps add a little velcro mount - but this thing looks pretty close to a factory fit.

Attachments

• IMG_3053.jpg
    IMG_3053.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 50

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
Overland Journal (Spring 2015) just did a write-up on electronic navigation (GPS). It's not specific to the LR3 but might give you an idea of what to look for beyond just physical size.

Raj1

Reaction score
Has anyone updated their default LR3 navigation? I have a 2007 LR3 HSE and the navigation works and has never been updated as far as I know. How can I update it without having to take it to a dealership?

Anyway I can also add real time traffic detection? :)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone updated their default LR3 navigation? I have a 2007 LR3 HSE and the navigation works and has never been updated as far as I know. How can I update it without having to take it to a dealership?

Anyway I can also add real time traffic detection? :)

I don't think an lr3 is ever going to have traffic info. The only "update" capability that I am aware of is buying a new DVD set.

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I did.. The mount on the left holds a Garmin hiking GPS for speed, location (latt and long), bread crumb functionality, and a trip odometer/average speed.

The mount on the right is for my phone, which gives me all the navigation options I could want. I no longer have to purchase map updates, plus I can use other apps if I like.

Attachments

• 15 - 2[2].jpg
    15 - 2[2].jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 15 - 1[3].jpg
    15 - 1[3].jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members