Cargo door stuck closed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redman333

Reaction score
How do I get the cargo door open? I have the interior panel off already because it was sticking before and I was going to order a new latch. I could get it open before by going inside and pulling the interior latch and it would open.

Now though it feels as if there's nothing inside the latch. I can pull the handle but it has almost no resistance other then the slight pull from the return spring. All other doors lock and unlock just fine.

I saw a video on YouTube that says the latch can become "unsync'd" and to remove the Land Rover emblem and spray the pins on the Side of the handle to let it return. I ha ent done this yet but it doesn't feel like my handle isn't all the way returned. Can the handle itself return to its seated position but not the internal latch.

Also if nothing works is there a way to get the door open manually so that I can replace the actuator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
couple of questions, does the lock move up and down when you unlock the rover?

do you feel the handle on the outside move when you attempt to use it?

What year rover?

redman333

Reaction score
couple of questions, does the lock move up and down when you unlock the rover?

do you feel the handle on the outside move when you attempt to use it?

What year rover?

It's a 2000 disco.

Yes I can feel the handle move when I attempt to open it.

No the lock doesn't move when I try to unlock the rover. It does move up when I pull the inside handle though but as soon as I release the handle the lock goes back down.

Also I did take the rover emblem off the back and spray the handle this morning and worked it a bit. I didn't get it to open but I sprayed it a lot after I worked it a bit and am letting it sit now.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
if you can't get it to open from the inside, try having someone hold the lock up on the inside while you open from the outside. Then you will have to take the panel off the inside and find the issue.

redman333

Reaction score
if you can't get it to open from the inside, try having someone hold the lock up on the inside while you open from the outside. Then you will have to take the panel off the inside and find the issue.

I'll try having someone open the door from the outside while I'm inside but the interior panel is already off.

redman333

Reaction score
I've tried everything. I think I'm going to have to disassemble, cut, drill and pry the latch apart until I can get the door open and completely destroy the latch mechanism. I'll place the order for a new one today. So when it comes in I'll start hacking away at the old one.

azabeemerboy

Reaction score
Rear lock

Take the cover off the lock from the outside, you can access the cover under the logo on the handle. Lubricate well and the door latch will open

redman333

Reaction score
Take the cover off the lock from the outside, you can access the cover under the logo on the handle. Lubricate well and the door latch will open

Already did that and no luck. I've tried about everything I could to get it open. I ordered a new actuator and got it in last night and pulled the inside cover off. Well it was already off technically. With the inside cover off and the new actuator in hand I checked out the new actuator to see how it operated and from what I could tell something broke and would not allow the actuator to unlock anymore. It could feel it trying and could get my hands on the actual lever to unlock and could move it a bit but it would stop as if it was hitting something.

My solution was a hammer, and a prybar. Started chipping away at the actuator until I broke it down enough to be able to pull the metal lever to release the latch. I got it off and got the new one installed late last night. When I get home I'll take some pics and show you guys what I ended up with.

brianfelts

Reaction score
I know I'm digging up an old thread but I'm in the same boat. When you busted the actuator from the inside, was there something simple to pop the door? Mine feels like the damn thing is welded shut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

redman333

Reaction score
I know I'm digging up an old thread but I'm in the same boat. When you busted the actuator from the inside, was there something simple to pop the door? Mine feels like the damn thing is welded shut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Yeah there's an actuator inside that pills on a traditional lock. Once the literally the entire lock mechanism was destroyed(the plastic bits) I was able to pull the latch and open the door. Then I just had to clean the mess up and install a new one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV