SRS, ABS and check engine lights '96

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello,

I would hate to retire my Land Rover Discovery. It runs great, it is very dependable and the A/C blows cold. But in Virginia, it will not pass inspection with the SRS light on. I have taken it to 4 repair shops, and all said that the codes about the dash lights cannot be read. I got different reasons from them all as to why.

My troubles started when I had the blinker switch replaced. Those pesky lights came on then. The mechanic said he could turn them off but he couldn't. The SRS light has the right side S blinking but the others stay on. I have tried the + and - cable from the battery thing, checked all the fuses, wires and plugs (except the plug under the passenger dash which fixes the older cars) Could unplugging the serial link mating plug possibly work on a '96? Could I hurt something if I tried it?

One guy said something about reading codes about a sensor in the front left wheel and an O2 sensor. I don't think, that would have anything to do with the SRS light or would it?

Any advice please. My husband wants me to junk it. Thanks, Andria

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you take a picture of the dash with the light on?

Reaction score
Dash Picture

Here it is Joey. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Andria

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 41

TestPoint

Reaction score
Aggressively waiting on a solution as this was the next thing on my to-do list.

Same year, same problem, same symptoms.

TestPoint

Reaction score
Truck has 104k miles and the air bags have never been deployed.

This vehicle had sat for a number of years and there are a number of things to fix with no real background information. Battery completely dead for some time. Also have ABS and MIL lights on. That appears to be the left ABS sensor which is also on the list.

Reaction score
If we find a solution (when we find a solution) we will definitely share it with you. And if you find out anything you share it with us. Also let me know what month and year it was manufactured. Ours was 12/95. Perhaps that will give us a clue.

Last edited:

binkwink

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 96 disco. I haven't tried anything to resolve it. But I'm very interested to hear what you come up with. Also if there is anything I can do on my vehicle to help out. Let me know.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I had a rough weekend with a Migraine... SRS on the Disco can be either the seat belt wiring for the drivers seat or the AIR BAG sensor. Keep in mind per the owners manual on most modern vehicles you are required to replace the air bags after 10 years (I know this is stupid, but just another way to spend money on most vehicles.)

It could also just need to be reset (requires Dealership or someone with the Land Rover Specific Computer) The SRS - Air bag computer is in the center console, so if you ever left the sunroof open in the rain it may also have a corrosion issue.

Reaction score
Air bag sensor

Joey, thank you so much for your response.

One more thing, well right now anyway. Where is the air bag sensor? We had a mechanic looking for it today.

I hope you are feeling better now. And I really appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you,

Andria

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV